Turtleneck and Chain

If like most students, you’ve spent a pretty sizeable amount of time scrolling through Youtube, to avoid work or just find something to make you laugh, then your run in with the following fake rappers is sure to have been an inevitable and ‘enlightening’ experience.

Comedy rap trio, The Lonely Island, led by Andy Samberg, are a group formed out of a number of successful and hilarious sketches on the famous Saturday Night Live.

They established themselves, with a number of hits off their last album ‘Incredibad’, including the now infamous internet anthems of, ‘Dick in a Box’ , ‘I’m on a boat’ and ‘Like A Boss’.

The success of such songs aided by their array of famous friends, willing to lend their talents to the group and often making the songs twice as funny, simply by association.

The first time I was unexpectedly treated to Natalie Portman’s impression of DMX on her track ‘Natalie’s Rap’ a beautiful moment of mass hysteria was triggered and ever since I’ve been a huge fan of the trio’s work. However, I was nervous about the longevity of such a musical endeavour, and wondered how long could the group to sustain, satisfyingly funny songs with the help of musical guests, without making them seem contrived.

Upon hearing the first single off their new album ‘Turtleneck and Chain’ (a classic catholic combo) my fears were laid to rest in the most emphatic of fashions. {{ quote ‘I just had sex’ featuring the vocals of one of the most unintentionally hilarious figures ever to grace R&B, Akon, is one of the most euphoric songs I’ve ever heard.}} The joy of everyone involved is both palpable and infectious; in fact I challenge anyone, not to laugh at least once at the ridiculous lyrics and most inappropriate use of a gospel choir, since Jedward graced an X factor stage.

With Akon still struggling to find a respectful word to describe a female, something about his involvement in such a song seems incredibly fitting and adds a sense of comic authenticity to the chorus he sings.

The new album whilst perhaps not quite as strong as its predecessor, still has hits to offer, with ‘Motherlover’ an ‘alternative’ (to say the least) mother’s day song featuring vocals from honorary member of the group, Justin Timberlake and ‘Jack Sparrow’ featuring the excessive power ballad vocals of Michael Bolton, which may well become an ironic summer anthem, coinciding with the release of the new POTC film. Appearances from legendary rapper, Snoop Dogg, Beck, Santogold, Nikki Minaj and pop music’s new sex symbol Rihanna, help to elevate songs simply by the star’s delivery of the absurd lyrics, such as Rihanna’s cry of ‘Boner Alert’ on ‘Shy Ronnie 2: Ronnie and Clyde.’

The main problem that arises from the album is that a great deal of the song’s comedy is lost with the absence of the relevant video sketch they’re from, with the visual representation of plots and characters often key to enjoying the numbers to their full potential.

There is undoubtedly some filler on the record, with tracks such as ‘My Mic’ and ‘Rocky’ seeming utterly pointless, whilst also failing to produce great laughs. However, one of the biggest revelations of the album is the clear emphasis on the aggressive production of the group’s songs and strict attention to the trio’s rhythm that helps to define some tracks as more than just sketches, but fully constructed songs.

So whilst the longevity of such a project may be called into question after multiple listens, as often is the case with comedy albums, the crude yet sometimes sharp lyrics and the sheer enthusiasm of the SNL trio and their musical guests will ensure that ‘Turtleneck and Chain’ is another success, in what continues to be a most fascinating (and hilarious) of careers.