Death of student prompts Leam street light backlash

**Warwickshire County Council has left itself open to legal challenge over its street light switch-off policy, according to a taxi operator in Leamington Spa. **

Mr Dil Ramzan, owner of My Taxis, spoke to the _Boar_ in light of the death of Warwick student Archie Wellbelove, a regular customer of Mr Ramzan, on Kenilworth Road.

The first-year English and French student was killed by a taxi at around 3.50am on 7 December.
Mr Ramzan believes the street light switch-off contributed to Mr Wellbelove’s death, as he claims officers were unable to locate Mr Wellbelove’s body in the dark, and could not ascertain the extent of his injuries in time.

He said police had to telephone for the lights to be switched back on as they could not see the body properly.

Warwickshire Police said officers are preparing a report on Mr Wellbelove’s death for the coroner. An inquest may be announced at the start of next week.

Police cannot disclose whether any more witnesses have come forward, besides the three passengers travelling in the taxi at the time.

Mr Ramzan is heading a campaign to have the street lights in Leamington switched back on. His Facebook page for the campaign, ‘Leamington Street Lights on ALL NIGHT’ has gained 270 likes, and an online e-petition has garnered 360 signatures, though he hopes to reach thousands.
After petitioning the Highways Agency, Mr Ramzan managed to have the lighting policy changed from the lights being switched off from midnight to 5.30am. On Friday and Saturday, the lights will be switched off from 1am to 6.30am instead.

The campaign aims to get the streets lights in Leamington switched back on for at least 4 nights a week, including Fridays and Saturdays, as well as student club nights like Smack Tuesdays.
“If it’s pitch-black you’re going to have all these muggings and sexual assaults,” he said. “Who isn’t afraid of the dark?”

Commenters on the Facebook page expressed their anger at the Council’s decision.
“Truly disgusted that our council have put money before safety,” wrote one resident.
Students have reiterated locals’ concerns. Second-year Psychology student Lauren Rosewarne said: “Leamington is a really popular student area for clubbing and going out so it’s pretty dangerous that the lights are being switched off at that time.

“I’m all for the council saving money and everything though, but I don’t think they can risk it in Leamington.”

Third-year History student Matthew Cullum told the Boar: “I think that moving the streetlight switch-off is a start, but the Council really need to put the safety of those living in Leamington before cutting costs.”

In July last year, Milton Keynes council reversed its decision to switch off street lights after a 30 per cent rise in accidents and two deaths in unlit areas.
The implementation of the Council’s scheme cost £1.4 million and aims to save £500,000 per year.

But Mr Ramzan argues that the Council have left themselves open to legal challenge, due to the potential for ‘slip and trip’ claims.

“If I’ve tripped up on a curb, I’m going to sue the council because they have failed to demonstrate a duty of care,” he said.

“They have left themselves open to legal challenge in many ways – it could be road traffic accidents, muggings or sexual assaults. The council are being negligent.”
He said that the seven drivers he employs have experienced difficulties in their work due to the switch-off. They have struggled to find addresses in the dark and have had to use torches to see.

Mr Ramzan thinks the street lights being kept on should be funded through an increase in council tax. He said most people would be willing to pay a little extra for the security the street lighting provides.

If the petition gains enough signatures, Mr Ramzan hopes to make a legal appeal against the Council’s policy.
“In an ideal world, what we need to do is advertise the legal challenge to the parents. If anybody is going to have clout with the council it’s them,” he said.

He urged Mr Wellbelove’s parents to come forward and said he would be happy to speak to them.
But not all students are concerned about safety in Leamington. John Servante, second-year English Literature student, said: “Coming from London, Leamington doesn’t scare me.
“It’s quaint, it’s quiet. I wouldn’t fear letting a female friend walk home. I mean, they put a letter through your door when a house gets broken into. It’s hardly urban gangland.”

Councillor Alan Farnell who is in favour of the street light switch-off, declined to comment on whether the street lighting scheme might have contributed to Mr Wellbelove’s death before a police report has been issued.

The police investigation into the death of Mr Wellbelove is ongoing.