Talking about mental health

**On Wednesday 20 February PsychSoc held their annual ‘Mental Health and Well Being Day’. **

The main aim of the day was to vocalise the issues surrounding mental health; issues from eating disorders to depression and anxiety. The activities for the day varied from a meditation event to a talk on the effects steroids can have on mental health.

Guest speaker, Zoltan Branch, forty five year-old manager of Leamington nightclub Altoria Bar, drew student attendees’ attention to issues arising from steroid use.

According to Mr Branch, a series of surveys have shown that between 20 and 40 per cent of people attending gyms use steroids, addiction to which can, in certain circumstances, lead the user to have thoughts of suicide.

Mr Branch said that the issue of steroids and mental health was relevant for University students because of how competitive university rivalries, especially through competitive sport events, can provide students with the impetus to use steroids to gain an advantage over competitors.

He claimed that the NHS “plaster over” issues of suicide attempts related to alcohol or drugs and that “the NHS does not perceive it a threat if someone tries to kill themself with alcohol or drugs” which he reasons is “effectively a long-drawn out process of suicide”.

In the atrium of the Students’ Union there were numerous stalls with representatives from the University’s counselling service and members of PyschSoc all on hand to give information and advice to students and passers-by.

Amie Cooper, second-year Psychology student and mental health co-ordinator told the _Boar_ of the success of PsychSoc’s campaigns: “People have liked our bubble campaign, were you write down three things that make you happy – and you get free bubbles!

“We wanted to emphasise positive psychology and make people see the good in life rather than the sad aspects of mental health, this way we should encourage people to feel more comfortable to talk about mental health issues”.

Izzy Fawdry, second-year psychology student and treasurer of PyschSoc agreed that the approach has allowed “people to come and speak about their own issues or those of someone they know that might have been embarrassed or worried to speak about it to those older than themselves.”

Relaxing head, shoulder and neck massages for £5 were also on offer with proceeds going to several mental health charities such as the _Charlie Waller Foundation_, _Papyrus_ (prevention of young teen suicide) and the eating disorder charity _Succeed Foundation_.

The charities _Making Space_ and _Mind_ were on the piazza to offer help and support for anybody affected by mental illnesses. _Mind_ were also promoting their ‘time to change’ campaign which aims at ending mental health discrimination.

Since the day is a part of Mental Health Awareness Week, third-year psychology student and president of PsychSoc was keen to promote the societies wish for the week: “If each day we can positively affect one person’s life, then we will have changed five lives by the end of the week”.