Warwick expands Virtual Learning Environment

Warwick has recently introduced the latest version of its Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), with the launch of the Moodle platform.

The Moodle platform is an online educational platform, which aims to provide more options for the University to pursue innovative and efficient teaching practices.

Moodle is well known and reputable in the higher education sector, already used as a tool by Warwick’s strategic partners Monash and Queen Mary, University of London.

The introduction of Moodle is part of the University’s iterative development strategy, adding to and improving the virtual learning tools on offer through a series of feature-updates in response to the needs of students and staff.

A desire for such specialist online tools was expressed in the institutional teaching and learning review. Academic-led governance groups will be keeping track of the project, providing feedback based on departmental needs and wider teaching issues.

The new platform is currently being piloted in the departments of Chemistry and Life Sciences, in addition to in the Language Centre, with more departments expected to phase Moodle in over the coming months.

Thus far, Moodle has received mixed reviews from students and staff. Speaking to users of Moodle at the Language Centre, the _Boar_ has learnt that whilst students appreciate having access to new resources, such as online videos and exercises, they find the system confusing and difficult to navigate.

Samantha Drewitt, a fourth-year student taking a Chinese module commented, “An online platform is a good resource for language learning but Moodle is not user-friendly and is slightly disorganised.”

However staff highlighted the advantages of being able to send group messages to students through the platform as well as the benefits of being able to upload supplementary audio material, videos, exercises and useful web links.

It was also remarked that Moodle gives academic staff an indication of how much effort students are exerting, as they are able to see how recently each student has logged in.

Nevertheless staff expressed doubts too, citing the length of time material took to upload as a problem with the system as well as the additional hours of work that putting material onto the online platform required.

In addition to the Moodle platform, an Assistant Management system, which enables students to submit their work and receive feedback online, is continually being updated.

A tool that will provide departments with an online system for carrying out student administration work is also currently being worked on.

In the future, students and staff at Warwick can expect to see further online tools as the University strives to develop a comprehensive, top-of-the-range online environment.