Fun things to do before the Christmas holiday

Believe it or not, Christmas is just around the corner, with less than 30 sleeps until the day arrives! It may seem like summer has just ended, but whether you’re a grinch or Christmas obsessed, here are some of the best things to do nearby in the run up to Christmas that you’re bound to enjoy.

For all of you Christmas lovers, Birmingham is the place to visit. With not one, but two Christmas markets in the centre of the city, there’s something for everyone. The Frankfurt Christmas market in Victoria Square brings a classic German twist on Christmas. There’s Glühwein, bratwurst, and waffles galore, so your taste buds won’t be disappointed! For those of you searching for a more traditional atmosphere, there’s the Cathedral Christmas market, new this year. A key highlight here has to be the Yorkshire pudding wraps; you do not want to miss out on these, trust me.

If you’re into some theatre, watching a Pantomime is another fun thing to at Christmas time

Both markets provide the perfect opportunity to kickstart Christmas shopping, with a range of stalls selling everything from flavoured coffee beans to hand crafted wooden toys, so there is sure to be the perfect gift for every member of your family. These markets are the place to visit this Christmas season, being named one of ‘Britain’s best Christmas markets’ by the Telegraph; it simply doesn’t get better than this.

Visiting a Christmas market isn’t the only way to get yourself into the festive mood though. If you’re into some theatre, watching a Pantomime is another fun thing to at Christmas time. Although it may not be for everyone, as the cringing clichés are sometimes too much to bare, it can be the perfect way to have some light-hearted fun.

Both Birmingham and Coventry are putting on pantos this year, with ‘Peter Pan’ being performed at the Birmingham Hippodrome, and ‘Sleeping Beauty’ at Coventry’s Belgrade Theatre. However, for those who aren’t ready to shout, ‘who’s behind you?’ along with the rabble of school children, a Christmas movie can be a less cringeworthy, cheaper alternative. The Warwick Student Cinema can help with this, as during the final week of term, ‘Love Actually’ and, ‘The Muppet’s Christmas Carol’ will be screening; two classic Christmas movies.

This way the cost is spread, and everyone gets to enjoy a delicious, festive meal

Being on a student budget at Christmas can make it seem like enjoying the festivities is impossible. But money needn’t stop you. One of the most enjoyable ways to celebrate Christmas with your friends can be done without breaking the bank. A pre-Christmas Christmas dinner! Everybody can chip in, with some prepping the veg, others the turkey, and the most trusted taking charge of the essential ingredient; the pigs in blankets!

This way the cost is spread, and everyone gets to enjoy a delicious, festive meal. A great, budget-friendly addition to a Christmas meal is ‘secret Santa’.A genius idea for those who struggle to know what to buy every friend at Christmas, whilst also keeping the cost to a minimum. Perfect for Christmas-loving students!

There are plenty of ways to enjoy this festive season, but why not spread the joy a little further? Do something charitable this Christmas. Help those locally by donating to a food bank, or get involved with the Samaritan’s Purse shoe box appeal and let the festivities be celebrated internationally.

Christmas is a time of enjoyment, so make sure you take advantage of everything our local area has to offer. But don’t forget to open your hearts this festive season and help everyone to feel the enjoyment that Christmas time can bring.