Valentines Special: Football’s biggest bromances

Football history is adorned with players that gelled perfectly. From brilliant Brazilians Bebeto and Romario to the midfield masters Xavi and Iniesta, the list goes on and on. But some players connect so well that they continue their relationship off the pitch. Here are five of football’s biggest bromances…

Marco Reus and Robert Lewandowski

Bromance Rating 3/5

Although Reus and Lewandowski only shared two seasons together at Dortmund, the signs of a lifelong friendship are plain for all to see. Even Lewandowski’s move to German rivals Bayern Munich appears not to have dented the bromance – in fact, it has had quite the opposite effect. The pair were caught sharing what can only be described as intimate smiles and glances at one another on the pitch when Dortmund faced Bayern back in May 2015. They have also been photographed and videoed on numerous occasions exchanging a secret friendship handshake. How cute.

Neymar and Dani Alves

Bromance Rating: 4/5

Despite having only been clubmates since 2013, Neymar once credited fellow Brazilian Dani Alves for helping him achieve his goals and making his dreams come true. Last season the duo won the treble of La Liga, Copa del Rey and Champions League with Barcelona and it seems that during those long coach rides and plane journeys a beautiful friendship has developed. After scoring the winner against Juventus in the Champions League final, Neymar took to Instagram to express, “Thank you @danid2ois for looking after me these two years…I love you bro”. A love story that would surely challenge the Catalan trio of Puyol-Pique-Fabregas for the title of Barca’s best bromance.

Be grateful that we don't have the actual video.

Be grateful that we don’t have the actual video.

Sergio Ramos and Mesut Ozil

Bromance Rating 4/5

Spanish defender Ramos formed an unlikely friendship with German midfielder Ozil when the latter arrived in Madrid in 2010. Ramos once wore Ozil’s game shirt underneath his own in the hope of dedicating a goal to his friend and made no attempt to hide his sadness and disapproval when Ozil was sold to Arsenal in 2013. The pair have continued their friendship on social media: Ramos tweeted a photo of himself holding a Real Madrid shirt signed by Ozil, while the German returned the favour by posting a cartoon of him and Ramos fist bumping with the caption “Me & My bro M10, SR4”. We are yet to see Ozil extend the same feelings towards Mathieu Flamini.

Andrea Pirlo and Gianluigi Buffon

Bromance Rating 5/5

Having played together since the age of 15 and winning four consecutive Scudetti and a World Cup in the process, the Italian duo could not be any closer. The Juventus goalkeeper posted a heartfelt tribute on Instagram when Pirlo left Juventus to join New York City FC.

Buffon wrote: “I would like to use one word gathering the whole life we lived together – friend. Thank you for our past lives together. Thank you for the carefree hours spent together”. Not only are they absolutely adorable together, but have you ever seen them wearing suits? Phwoar. Possibly the classiest and coolest duo ever to grace the football world.

As Andrea looks wistfully into the distance, only one man occupies his thoughts...

As Andrea looks wistfully into the distance, only one man occupies his thoughts…

Xabi Alonso and Steven Gerrard

Bromance Rating 5/5

Xabi Alonso won the FA Cup and Champions League in five seasons at Liverpool, before moving to Real Madrid in 2010. Despite trophy-laden spells at Real and Bayern Munich, he remains a loyal and avid Liverpool fan. His former Liverpool Captain Steven Gerrard maintains that selling Alonso back in 2009 was a “stupid” and “disastrous” decision, saying that Alonso was by far the best midfielder he had ever played with. Alonso reciprocated this by proudly stating that Gerrard was the player he enjoyed playing alongside the most. He even snuck into the ITV studios when Stevie was the guest pundit to say hello to his old friend – while Gerrard was live on air. These two are solid proof that long distance relationships definitely can work.