Maxine Peake's production of Beryl at the Birmingham Repertory Theatre

Review: ‘Beryl’ the seven times cycling world champion Yorkshire lass

Beryl’ tells the remarkable story of the seven times cycling world champion Beryl Burton. “Who?” I hear you ask. Quite. Despite her remarkable achievements, winning over ninety domestic championships and setting numerous records, not many people have heard of the Yorkshire lass.

Maxine Peake’s play aims to rectify this and bring its strong-willed heroine once more into the limelight. Detailing Beryl’s life from her birth in 1937 to her death aged only 58, at times the production reads closer to a documentary than a play, but at its heart the strong relationship between Beryl and her husband Charlie Burton holds the piece together.

It’s a charming show, full of humour and heart, with the unstoppable driving force of Beryl herself at the centre.

I thought the contract said light cycling required!

The set, a roughshod bicycle workshop, feels in keeping with its leading character, appropriately utilitarian. The actors in cycling gear play four characters working together telling Beryl’s story. At times there’s conflict, “why are you dwelling on this, shouldn’t we crack on?” At other times humour, “I thought the contract said light cycling required!”

The play is self-conscious about its story telling. Peake chooses to stage her own attempt to represent Beryl’s life in a truthful and dramatically interesting way. For the most part it works, drawing us in to the story of Beryl and the story of writing ‘Beryl’.

However, the play was originally conceived as a drama for radio and at times it shows. Rebecca Gatward’s direction struggles to keep cycling visually interesting on stage. Ultimately there are only so many times the actors peddling away can maintain an audience’s attention. The documentary style recitation necessary for radio grates a little in the theatre where we can see for ourselves what is happening and don’t need to be told.

bringing the untold stories of women in history to the fore

Despite these faults, Beryl’s story, and the strong ensemble performance is compelling enough to make the trip up to Birmingham worthwhile. This production represents a real success story for regional theatre, and the project of rediscovering and bringing the untold stories of women in history to the fore. Also, it’s just a wheelie fun ride.