BBC’s Andy Conroy visits Warwick as part of the 50th Anniversary Series

Andy Conroy is a titan of the media industry in this country. Having worked in radio and broadcasting for decades, and now with a very senior position within the BBC, he spoke candidly about his relationship with the nation’s broadcaster. It was never easy or straightforward – having spent time during some of the crisis periods and stepping away when it was all too much, Conroy has always set himself high standards that the organisation could not always fulfil.

He is acutely aware of the role that the state plays in the creation and determination of young people’s futures in the UK.

Even though he is long out of his Lancashire roots, you can still hear the cheeky, Blackburn tone as he talks to Warwick students about how he made it out of an impoverished Northern town, to the lights of the BBC. Although he probably wouldn’t put it like that. We couldn’t record it, but here are the best bits.

“I am a child of the state” is what he started by saying. The state paid for his education, for his welfare when his parents were in a tough financial position and even now some of his wage as he takes his place as Controller of Research and Development in Future Media. He is acutely aware of the role that the state plays in the creation and determination of young people’s futures in the UK. He was not apologetic, but aware of the fact that things are a lot more difficult now than they were before.

However, he spoke fondly of BBC patronage and the vital importance of experience and gaining mentors within the industry

From the reaction of the audience, they warmed to his honest and comedic nature. Like many of those that work in the entertainment industry, he was a performer and this was evident from the way that he delivered the talk. He spoke about his troubles launching BBC Asian Network having no knowledge of any of the languages that were associated with this station, as well as having to handle difficult characters in management and on his team.

However, he spoke fondly of BBC patronage and the vital importance of experience and gaining mentors within the industry. This was particularly useful to those students who asked about how to get a foothold in the industry.

About his job, he explained: “I am basically ‘head of transformations’ – my job is to make sure that the BBC is internet fit, all 60,000 people, and all £4 billion. I earn £175,000 a year, and I don’t claim expenses or gifts – and everything is published online. I am the head of mayhem.”

With the industry taking a huge shift towards online and digital media, it will be interesting to see the direction that the Beeb choose to take. Rest assured, whatever happens, it is certain that Mr Conroy will be a huge part, if not the king pin in this process.