Photo: Thomas Ricker / Flickr

Bullying worse than abuse or neglect, study finds

Being bullied as a child is more detrimental than being victim to childhood abuse or neglect, academics at the University of Warwick and Duke University have found.

The study demonstrated how children who are bullied are affected by extremely damaging long-term issues according to the Telegraph. Researchers attributed their findings to bullying not being treated with the same urgency as abuse or neglect.

Data was collected from parents who provided reports of maltreatment, as well as the children’s own reports of bullying, while also collecting accounts from teenagers on both maltreatment and bullying between the ages of 9 and 16.

Professor William Copeland, who led the study, recently published his findings in the Lancet Psychiatry. He said: “The long term effects of bullying are anxiety, depression or suicidal tendencies.

“We looked at those who were bullied only, maltreated only and exposed to both and found that effects are higher in those bullied than maltreated … our research found the effects of bullying are worse than being abused at home.”

Professor Copeland also identified a lack of support as a root cause of these results. He said:

“People don’t necessarily get a lot of support when bullied or experience significant adults, like parents or teachers, downplay it.”

“This creates a sense within the individual that something is wrong with them and that they should get over it with little help.”

“Unhelpful” to create rivalry

In opposition to the stance of Professor Copeland, the University of New Hampshire have argued that while the current response to bullying, maltreatment and abuse is inadequate, it is also unhelpful to create rivalry between child protection lobbies.

Professor Dieter Wolke, from the University of Warwick outlined some potential government led solutions to this issue. He said: “Until now, governments have focused their efforts and resources in family maltreatment rather than bullying.

“Since one in three children worldwide report being bullied, and it is clear that bullied children have similar or worse mental problems later in life to those who are maltreated, more needs to be done to address this imbalance.”

Dr Jennifer Wild from the University of Oxford observed that the findings did not actually investigate why bullying caused mental health problems.

Despite this, Dr Wild reinforced the view of Professor Wolke. She said: “The findings are important because they highlight the devastating consequences of bullying and the need for zero tolerance programs.”