News in brief – 11 March

[dropcap]A[/dropcap]n inquiry has revealed that hundreds of deaths of those with mental health issues in detention could have been avoided. The inquiry, which was led by Warwick Professor Swaran Singh, revealed that 367 adults with mental health conditions died through unnatural circumstances in UK psychiatric wards between 2010 and 2013.
[dropcap]N[/dropcap]ick Clegg’s constituency office was occupied by Sheffield University students in protest over tuition fees. The students protested outside his office before entering the building. They quickly left Mr Clegg’s office once police arrived on the scene. The protest arose over Mr Clegg’s broken pledge regarding tuition fee rises.
[dropcap]N[/dropcap]igel Thrift was confronted by members of Warwick for Free Education on Wednesday 4 March. The vice-chancellor was attending a drinks reception at the Arts Centre when a group of WFFE members arrived. The event was closed down and security escorted Sir Nigel to his waiting vehicle. The WFFE members shouted questions at the vice-chancellor regarding his salary.
[dropcap]Y[/dropcap]ou are at greater risk of a stroke if you sleep for over eight hours a day, according to Warwick researchers. The team, led by Yue Leng, found that those who persistently sleep for over eight hours a day were twice as likely to have a stroke.
[dropcap]I[/dropcap]ndian students are choosing to study in the US instead of the UK, according to India’s Commerce and Industry Minister, Nirmala Sitharaman. The minister has suggested that Indian students are dissuaded from studying in the UK due to the difficulty in obtaining visas and the increased fee for international students.
[dropcap]P[/dropcap]resent deputy news editors have expressed their appreciation for News Editor Ann Yip. Reports suggest that she has done a fantastic job as News Editor over the past year. It is also alleged that her commitment and dedication to the section has been inspirational to all. Sources claim that Ann will be missed, however, the Boar News team wishes her every success in the future. Boar Love from April, Arthi, Connor, Rosie and Sam.