photo: veggiefrog / Flickr

“Construction industry often overlooked”

A leading business insurance website in the UK has revealed that the construction industry prioritises passionate and enthusiastic young people for their apprenticeships, according to the results of a survey carried out on employers working in various areas of the construction industry.

In order to determine exactly what kinds of skills and attributes apprentices would need to forge a career within the construction industry, the Construct a Quote team polled a total of 956 individuals.

All respondents were asked to disclose what they determine to be the most important attributes which should be held by anyone looking to succeed in a career in the construction industry.

61 percent of respondents placed a passion for industry as their highest priority when considering applicants. Willing and eagerness to learn new skills ranked second, with 47 percent.

Other skills the industry ranked highly were the ability to stay calm under pressure and with tight deadlines, previous knowledge or experience of the industry and communication ability.

All of those polled currently own or work in a senior position at a construction company. The employers worked in fields including builders, electricians, bricklayers, carpenters and welders.

The findings were compiled in order to help school leavers and young Britons considering a future career in the construction industry.

Lyndon Wood, CEO and creator of Construct a Quote, said: “Construction is somewhat of an overlooked industry when it comes to the opportunities it can offer young school leavers in the form of rewarding and valuable apprenticeship schemes.”

• disqus_JMFc8ZZgg2

Who are Construct a Quote? Why do we care about their opinion on this matter?