Kiestar will aim to raise talent awareness. Photo: Rusty Sheriff / Flickr

Student-run talent website gets off to flying start

A new platform created and run by Warwick students called Kiestar has had its first performance after selecting their first on-campus star, Lilli Chel.

Kiestar is a new internet start-up that selects a new star every month, and describes itself as “the social network of talent”.

Launched in 2015, the company aims to promote an individual every month through various media and performances.

The business was started by Warwick students Christian Hinnenburg, a third-year business student, and Sami Idris, a first-year economics student, as a way to allow new talent to gain publicity and repute.

According to Rasti Rasool, public relations officer of Kiestar the creators felt that, “talented people are simply not getting the attention they deserve”.

The project is based online and is integrated with a variety of social networking systems, for example, potential stars and users can create their profiles quickly by logging into the system through their Facebook profile.

The business is named after the French phrase ‘Qui est la star?’ meaning ‘Who is the star?’.
A new star will be selected on the website via a voting system every month. Potential stars can set up a profile on the website, showcasing their talent.

Other users can then vote on which star’s performance they think is the best, with the act with the most points at the end of the month winning.

The selected star will then be promoted by the company with a performance and a variety of publicity through various social media and platforms.

On January 27 the start-up had their first performance with their first star and singer, Lilli Chel. The event took place in the Students’ Union Atrium. There was a large turnout of Warwick students.

Mr Rasool commented that the experience of starting up a business was, “very fulfilling as you see your idea come to fruition”.

Kiestar will have their second performance announcing their new star on March 5 in the Students’ Union and have already begun expanding their business.

In March the company will branch out to Coventry University, and in April to Birmingham. The founders also hope to eventually expand the project on a national scale.