Professor Green is seen here performing elsewhere; photo: nudevinyl / Flickr

Rapper Professor Green cancels Copper Rooms gig

A performance by rap artist Professor Green due to take place at Warwick Student’s Union (SU) on Saturday 24 January was cancelled one day in advance.

Professor Green was due to perform in the Copper Rooms along with singer-songwriter Mike Dignam. However, on Friday 23 the SU issued a statement announcing that the event was to be cancelled and that people who had bought tickets would be contacted via email regarding refunds.

The statement, which was posted on the SU Facebook page and Twitter feed, read: “Due to unforeseen circumstances, Professor Green will no longer be performing at The Copper Rooms on Saturday 24 January. We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused, and refunds are available at the point of purchase. We will look to bring Professor Green back to Warwick at a future date.”

A similar post was made earlier on the SU website, but is no longer available. The entertainments department suggested that the post most likely “expired to make room for new articles.” The statements on the Warwick SU Facebook page and Twitter account remain available.

The artist also cancelled a performance at the Queen Margaret Union in Glasgow because he “took unwell on the long drive up from London”

The reasons for the cancellation remain unclear. However, the artist also cancelled a performance at the Queen Margaret Union in Glasgow due to take place on Thursday 22 January because he “took unwell on the long drive up from London” according to a statement on the venue’s Facebook page.

The Warwick SU entertainments department said they were unable to share specific details of the cancellation or ticket sales. They said: “owing to contractual obligations we are unable to discuss the details of the cancellation, or give any financial information pertaining to events. However, all ticket purchasers have been contacted and will receive refunds for the full face value of the ticket at the point of purchase”.

Second-year Economics undergraduate Mary Arcari, who bought a ticket for the show, said she was pleased with the way the SU had handled the cancellation. She received “an email and there was plenty of contact on Facebook telling [her] it was cancelled”. She also noted that “the refund process is easy and hassle free”.

Ms Arcari was however disappointed with the cancellation and the lack of explanation: “I just feel as if there wasn’t a reason and it was very last minute”.

Unlike Professor Green who had dropped out a day in advance, Wiley had contacted the SU via text after the time he was meant to be on stage

This is not the first time that a high-profile artist has cancelled a show at Warwick SU. In 2012, Wiley, who was to perform in the Copper Rooms for Freshers Fortnight, cancelled his performance.

Unlike Professor Green who had dropped out a day in advance, Wiley had however contacted the SU via text after the time he was meant to be on stage. Wiley also cited ‘jet-lag’ and a ‘car-crash’ as his reasons for not performing – both of which were later shown to be false.

Although the concert has not been reorganised, the SU claim that they “would like to bring Professor Green back at a future date” but that “there are many factors which will determine whether that happens or not”.