Photo: Adam Fagen / Flickr

Students confused over new anonymous messaging app

A new messenger app which allows Facebook users to chat anonymously has been launched by first-year Warwick MORSE student Andrey Abramov on Friday 16 January.

‘Tetatet’ allows Facebook users to send text or photo messages to other Tetatet members on their Facebook friend list. There is a choice of two functions, ‘chat’ to message as yourself, or ‘tet’ to withhold your identity.

Recipients can then chose to ‘tet back’ the mystery messenger. Both parties are now anonymous in a new thread. A ‘tet’ sender may voluntarily reveal their identity at any time.

Using the ‘tet-back’ function costs points from the account holder’s personal score. Points are gained by receiving messages or through an in-app purchase.

Why would I want to download it? This is rubbish.

Alex Shaw

Mr Abramov explained: “In Tetatet we also have a group chat, where you can invite your friends and then leave messages there either anonymously or openly. I would say it is just for fun.”

Mr Abramov came up with the idea around two years ago when he wanted a way to get past his shyness with his girlfriend.
He described Tetatet as “a way of discovering your friends’ characters from another side. It takes away any hesitation, allows you to be sincere and talk about those things you really want to talk about”.
He added: “You never know how far your conversation may go. You may end up being close friends eventually, as you would discover each other personalities in this non-binding way.”

Connor O’Shea tried to convince ten of his flatmates to download the app; all refused to do so.

Mr Abramov expressed his hope that users would “use anonymity for good, but not for cyber-bullying”.

Many students have expressed confusion over the app. Deputy News editor Connor O’Shea tried to convince ten of his flatmates to download the app; all refused to do so.

One flatmate, Alex Shaw, a second-year Politics and Economics student said: “Why would I want to download it? This is rubbish.”

Daniel Cope, third-year Literature student was also confused. He said: “Why would I want to message people anonymously? That’s a terrible idea for an app!”

Others also raised concerns that the app could be misused.

“I don’t really understand the point of it except to be gross or abusive,” explained first-year Psychology student Sara Jane Sutty.

Lizzie Adsett, a second-year Chemistry student, expressed similar unease: “I think it has a lot more potential to be used for bad intentions than good ones”.

There were others who were more open to the idea.

It has a novelty factor, so I think it could take off.

Sarah Copping

“It has a novelty factor, so I think it could take off,” said third-year Maths student Sarah Copping. “We often don’t see the point of things like this until we have them and then they become really popular.

“In the short run we hope to release an Android version of our app,” reveals Mr Abramov, “And also there’s going to be a new feature in the app, which I don’t want to disclose now, but it’s going to be really entertaining”.

More information about the app is available at tetatet.net or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/tetatetmessenger.