Review: Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, PC, Wii U, 3DS, PS Vita
Release Date: Out now
Developer: Traveller’s Tales
Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment

It’s difficult to talk about the latest installment in the franchise of LEGO games. Especially when we try and consider LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, without comparing it directly to its spiritual rival and counterpart, LEGO Marvel Superheroes, with its similarly ridiculous cast of characters and crazy amount of unlockables.[divider]

This comparison is not a damning one, and yes, I am one of those fans (I hesitate to say fanboy) who loves expansive content, endless exploration elements and most of all, a complete and exhaustive list of playable characters, canon or otherwise. The LEGO games set in the Marvel and DC universes have satisfied in giving me the experience of a universe I can play with at my own leisure, never feeling that sense of disappointment when I see a character I enjoy is not included. In fact the opposite is true as I was surprised with this game when characters I had forgotten popped up in an oddly pleasurable “so and so unlocked” window.

My initial reception of Beyond Gotham was that it was a sort of Marvel Superheroes Mark II, with improved dialogue, funnier jokes and genuinely impressive action sequences. The jokes are equally as silly as those in the Marvel equivalent, but for some reason they grated on me less, with the notable exception of all those delivered by Robin (who gave me a rare form of game-rage).

The action during cut scenes is actually pretty enjoyable. The game opens with Batman sweeping down on Joker’s henchmen in the manner you would expect him to, and one of the later sequences featuring an all out battle between the lantern corps impresses. Whilst the dialogue is cheesy, it gels nicely with semi-serious fight sequences and the only moderately goofy voice acting.

Gameplay has seen a marginal but measurable improvement from previous LEGO games

Gameplay has seen a marginal but measurable improvement from previous LEGO games. There are now longer levels, more personalised elements to the characters (such as Flash, who actually moves at extreme speed even when not in combat) and a much improved system of AI-controlled suppo. This system allows for a smoother single-player playthrough without having to rapidly switch between characters mid-puzzle. However, these puzzles can be unusually frustrating for a game aimed at children, and had me at times reaching for a walkthrough just so I could get on with the experience of the game.

The introduction of space battles using such staples as Wonder Woman’s invisible jet and Bruce Wayne’s combat ready spaceship is a welcome addition. However, these battles only serve to replace that which has been left out since Marvel Superheroes, namely the large selection of cars, planes and boats included in its free roam world.

Certain additions do serve to increase the game’s charm, adding to the appeal for adults as well as children. For example the replacement of the “Stan Lee in peril” level from the Marvel entry with the “Adam West in peril” feature (with voiceover from the man himself) proves to be much more amusing than the former.

JohnStewart_01_large

Cheats make a return appearance as rewards for playing the game and are a welcome throwback to my 90s gaming childhood. The soundtrack is also, as usual, above par for a game aimed at younger audiences. The inclusion of the original 1978 Superman music upon Superman’s entrance did coax a belly laugh and a quiet cheer from me.

While I have some familiarity with DC comics, I was initially worried that I would have difficulty recognising many characters and thereby attach little meaning to unlocking them. This worry proved unfounded; the characters were all introduced succinctly and with explanation, leaving me in little doubt as to who they were and why they were important to the story and greater universe. The fact that many of these characters are given a selection of suits to choose from feels childish, but pragmatic in fulfilling a certain function of the game. It allows it to engage with the cheesy representation of Batman while not giving him over entirely to the “Kapow” vibe. It also allowed me to transform Cyborg into a huge combat version of himself when I entered a fight.

I liked the inclusion of Doomsday, Bane, Atrocitus, Mr Freeze (with imitation Arnie voice), and Swamp Thing, but was disappointed at the lack of Sand-Man, my favourite DC comic character. Whilst I could use this point to illustrate how the game fails to fully represent the darkness of the comic book world of DC, it actually does surprisingly well considering the age rating, and creates a wholly different atmosphere to the Marvel equivalent.

LEGO Batman 3_Cyborg_01

One of my main criticisms comes as a result of a direct comparison to Marvel Superheroes, and is in fact one that dropped Beyond Gotham considerably in my estimations. Let’s set aside for a moment the fact that the game does at times feel rushed, ever so slightly glitchy, and even pointless in some of its puzzles. Even given these concessions, I have a big problem: despite the game purporting to contain multiple hub areas and a vast world to explore, it doesn’t.

Yes, it does have multiple hub areas and a world to explore, but vast? No. The Marvel world entry had a vast Manhattan-esque world to swing, fly and race through, truly realising the mini-open world vibe the game had gone for. In comparison the tight spaces of Beyond Gotham feel decidedly restrictive. They represent the world well but do not fulfil the player at all. Why give me the power to run at extreme speeds with the Flash but not let me actually run any large distance? The lack of an open world makes this game feel stunted and unfinished, despite what it does well. Hopefully any further sequels will include a truly vast world.rrating3-5

Perhaps Gotham, rather than going “beyond,” is lacking the grander scale the title demands. [divider_top]

Twitter_logo_blueGot any thoughts on the latest installment in the Lego videogame saga? Can Superman outrun the Flash? Tell us at @Boargames.