Review: Far Cry 4

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, PC
Release Date: Out now
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Publisher: Ubisoft

Far Cry 4 had a great deal of hype surrounding its release.  Much like its bombshell of a predecessor, its marketing has generated a considerable amount of expectation and excitement many months prior to its release. This is understandable given the previous game’s highly positive reception and diehard fan-base who, while vocal in support of previous Far Cry games, truly found themselves united with the gaming masses upon the latter’s discovery of Far Cry 3 and its redefinition of the shooter genre. Far Cry 4’s links to the blockbuster movie world are perhaps not as strong as the previous entry and its interactive, reality TV-style viral marketing campaign. However, the elements of action films adopted by the series of late bleed into the story and pace of Far Cry 4 in a very noticeable way. [divider]
Far Cry 4 had a great deal of hype surrounding its release.  Much like its bombshell of a predecessor, its marketing has generated a considerable amount of expectation and excitement many months prior to its release. This is understandable given the previous game’s highly positive reception and diehard fan-base who, while vocal in support of previous Far Cry games, truly found themselves united with the gaming masses upon the latter’s discovery of Far Cry 3 and its redefinition of the shooter genre. Far Cry 4’s links to the blockbuster movie world are perhaps not as strong as the previous entry and its interactive, reality TV style viral marketing campaign, featuring the ever hilarious Christopher Mintz-Plasse of Superbad fame. However, the elements of action films adopted by the series of late bleed into the story and pace of Far Cry 4 in a very noticeable way.

FC4ScreenShot_22_165495

The cinematic elements, which might feel contrived or overly kitsch in games such as Bayonetta or Call of Duty, do not have such an effect here. The fact that the game immediately throws you into a car chase where you shoot at your opponents with an automatic pistol whilst dodging elephants and explosive barrels to a fast paced rock track immediately engages you. In other games this may feel silly, but this is the world of Far Cry, where metro-sexual Tibetan dictators care about the suits they wear and former African warlords use bible verses as an excuse to sell you weapons… and you can ride elephants whilst shooting a gun.

The new setting, Kyrat, a vast Himalayan basin, features all the trappings of an action game set in a unique area: there are cliffs to be climbed, rivers to fight killer fish in, snowy caves filled with inexplicably explosive material, and hyper-aggressive local species (AKA Honey Badgers). This is a good point at which to outline the absolute beauty of the games’ design. Whilst some were disappointed at the game not running at 1080p and 60fps, the initial steps you take in Kyrat will blow you away. We knew Ubisingsoft had taken graphics to a higher level with the facial animations and backgrounds of AC Unity, but here they have even invited players to explore from above in mini-helicopters (“buzzers”) in order to fully take the visuals in. This feature is greatly welcomed as a more scenic form of fast travel, allowing you to simultaneously enjoy the views (the beauty of which cannot be underlined enough) and fire grenades at passing enemy convoys.

FC4ScreenShot_15_165481

Multiplayer is also well implemented (a recent rising positive of Ubisoft games) with a drop in drop out system for online players, and those who bought the special edition receiving 12 “keys to Kyrat”, which allow the player to send their friends demo keys to play for free. Multiplayer serves to even the odds against larger fortresses and is even encouraged when approaching them. The gameplay is more or less the same as the previous entry into the series, Far Cry 3, but is polished in a way that is rarely seen in contemporary gaming sequels. The game follows the basic principle of not attempting to fix the unbroken; everything you loved from the previous games is back, but better. The stealth is improved greatly, so you won’t be spotted from 500 metres away in a bush just for firing a silenced sniper rifle into a nearby wall. The weapons set is advanced and expanded, with additions like the sidearm grenade launcher and crossbow increasing the number of possible strategies for base capturing, a concept which is improved upon greatly by rewarding daring attempts with incredibly tense unscripted stealth encounters. Stealth is encouraged more than the previous title, which adds to challenge and enjoyment, as well as the realism.

… did I mention you can ride an elephant whilst firing a gun?

The pace of the game is drawn out in a way that I appreciate. Why rush me through a game which I am enjoying? Missions are spread around the map, encouraging advancement and exploration, and unlike some games, this never gets boring. Whilst some returning features of the series may be unwelcome (not ANOTHER terrible “I’m on drugs” mission) these are easily remedied by the gorgeous visuals within them and a switching mission style that keeps the player on their toes, mixing up gun choices and hunting animals for more ammo space. These animals are just as gorgeous and surprising as the scenery itself… did I mention you can ride an elephant whilst firing a gun? The pace is helped greatly by the much improved level-up system, which allows you to advance as you wish to, without hurrying you with requirements.

FC4ScreenShot_20_165491

The acting and story feels like a good action film, with performances drawing you in instead of showering you with irony and critical distance. This is exemplified in the new protagonist, Ajay Ghale, whose name is pronounced both in its Anglicised formand in its original “Kyrati”. His army past and dual citizenship help you to actually feel like he belongs, unlike the hateful, spoilt rich boy protagonist of Far Cry 3. The soundtrack is also a piece of art by itself, giving Kyrat an ambient pleasure when you’re not hurling you into the fight scenes with gusto. This all adds to a refreshingly freeform story in a refreshingly freeform game.

The final touches were put on my enjoyment of this game by the re-playable settlement capture missions (which let’s be honest, everyone wished for in the previous game) and the Karma system. The Karma system actually gives you a reason not to blast the friendly natives into the sky along with that rhino that looked at you funny, instead encouraging you to, say, reap the benefits of hunting the rhino through traditional means, whilst avoiding excess casualties. The occasional random encounter Karma mission in which you can choose whether or not to help the rebels really adds colour and life to the landscape also.

As a fan and newcomer to the Far Cry series at number 3, I am deeply pleased that Ubisoft have chosen to please the crowds with their latest release.

rrating5-5[divider_top]

Twitter_logo_blue What do you make of Ubisoft’s latest exotic shooter? Tell us over at @Boargames.