Photo: Flickr / Cyril Attias

Songs, sexism and “skinny-shaming”

Bianca Lopez discusses the presentation of small women in the media, tackling society’s sexism and embracing body positivity…

With the release of curve-celebrating songs, such as Nicki Minaj’s ‘Anaconda’ and Meghan Trainor’s ‘All About That Bass’, alongside musician Diplo’s recent petition to ‘Get Taylor Swift a Booty’, the prominence of “skinny-shaming” in the media has risen dramatically. It has even been criticised by some for being inherently against the idea of body positivity and for portraying one body type as more desirable than others. Others, however, have denounced the significance of the issue when compared to “fat-shaming”, claiming that such comparisons cannot be made because of the media’s heavy favour for skinny women.

Photo: Public Domain / Pixabay

Photo: Public Domain / Pixabay

Flicking through Cosmo, Glamour and essentially any other mainstream media, there is a clear portrayal of one body type as more desirable than others: skinny. On catwalks worldwide we see dangerously thin models parading the most stylish up-and-coming designs, in magazines we worship articles dedicated to helping us find the perfect diet and we spend weeks trying the new, Rihanna-approved ways to ditch ten pounds in a fortnight. Undeniably, thin women possess a more privileged position compared to that of curvier girls when it comes to the media’s treatment of them. When we observe the media’s manipulation and commodification of their bodies it is still clearly sexist and quite simply unacceptable, yet the treatment they suffer is surely less oppressive than that which curvier girls experience. We need to look at the issue in light of intersectionality; “skinny-shaming” is a sexist and oppressive tool, but “fat-shaming” is tied to sexism, fatphobia and the subsequent hatred produced in our society, thus adding a further dimension of oppression suffered by women who are victims of “fat-shaming”.

We need to create conversation and speak about curvy women to ensure that the focus is not just centred on one body type, which can then be dangerously idealised by young girls, women and men everywhere. We need to take the conversation from the majority to the minority and overcome “fat-shaming” by representing alternatives to the norm as just as desirable.

“fat-shaming” is tied to sexism, fatphobia and the subsequent hatred produced in our society

Here lies a problem though: body positivity embodies all shapes and sizes. Phrases such as “only a dog wants a bone” are not only repulsive and nauseating, but are merely shifting the negative focus on some female body types from body shape to another. It is not solving the underlying issue – the over-sexualisation of women to the point where they become mere commodities and only their appearance is something which is celebrated, but, again, only if it is the “right” kind of appearance. Body positivity is surely about celebrating every size, figure and woman out there and by supporting this mantra we can eradicate the ridiculous element of competition between women created by the media.
Women are constantly pitted against each other in the eyes of the media; only one kind of woman can be celebrated and only one kind can be successful. Let’s ensure that curvy girls are heard, but let’s please not merely displace the negativity onto another set of women. We should instead tackle the inherent underlying sexism and misogyny in the media, take the true meaning of body positivity and embrace it. All women are to be celebrated – regardless of shape and size.