Photo: Sarah Kerr / Flickr

Brits are genetically grumpier

British people are genetically one of the grumpiest nations, according to a recent study.

New research from the University of Warwick has revealed that the Brits, French and Americans are more likely to be grumpy as they have a short form of the gene that regulates seratonin, the main chemical which controls our happiness.

Professor Andrew Oswald, who lead the research, studied 131 nationalities for the seratonin regulatory gene and found that only the French had a shorter form than the British.

Meanwhile, Denmark and the Netherlands, which are often rated as some of the happiest countries in the world, were found to have populations with a longer form of the gene.

This research reverses the traditional markers for happiness in the developed world such as education, wealth, health and political stability.

Instead, the findings, which will be presented at the Economic and Social Research Council’s Festival of Social Sciences, highlight that genetics are the single most important factor when assessing happiness.

Professor Oswald highlighted that despite some countries having a positive social, political and financial outlook, a short form of the gene could still result in a negative outlook.

Alex Shaw, a second-year Economics, Politics and International Studies student, embraced the research. He urged: “We (the British) are not grumpy, we’re just realistic about life!”