Photo: flickr/lobo235

Tête-à-Tête: Is trick or treating now outdated?

[one_third]

Victor De Rocha says YES

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]he “Trick or Treat” tradition was an essential part of Halloween. Almost a hundred years had passed since the beginning of this festive custom, however, it became more obsolete seeing that its practice happens solely amongst middle-class families living in small and safe towns across the globe.

Firstly, teenagers shouldn’t participate in “Trick or Treat”, because at this age the Halloween holiday becomes an excuse for many to dress vulgarly. I am not referring to women and men in their sixteens’ or eighteens’ but thirteen-year-old girls and boys who are usually criticised for not dressing adequately for Halloween parties.

Secondly, trick or treating became a tradition just for small and rich neighbourhoods.

Kids in large cities- such as London, Hong Kong or Boston can’t go out at night knocking on their neighbour’s doors asking for sweets.

The first reason for this is that most families live in buildings making it very inconvenient for children to pursue this tradition, In addition, parents also tend not to allow their sons and daughters to wander around at night. The violence issue makes it impossible, in many cities, for kids to walk freely asking for sweets. Therefore, the fear that some disaster might happen make it hard for parents to condone this custom.

The tradition of this folklore had vanished long ago.

What used to be a day for remember and honour the dead became a reason for youngsters to dress up as princesses and cowboys.

It is also rare to see teenagers doing pranks if someone refuses to give them a treat. Although some rebellious teens might still do it, most of them are afraid of the severe consequences that damaging someone’s house can implicate.

Finally, “Trick or Treat” is becoming obsolete because of the many curfew policies that are seen around countries, like in the USA. In some cities the parents even have lobby the local government in order to allow curfews to be extended. Alternatively, churches and schools are holding events such as “Trunk or Treat” to gather the youngsters satisfying worried parents.

It is likely that soon fewer parents will allow their children to go “Trick or Treating”. If it wasn’t for kids from small towns the practice of “Trick or Treating” would have faded away a long time ago.[/one_third]
[one_third_last]

Yan Han Goh says NO

[dropcap]I[/dropcap]’ve been ready for days, weeks, and even months for Halloween. I’ve shipped my Rilakkuma onesie all the way from Singapore and it’s hanging in my closet right now, waiting to see the light. For those who are clueless as to what is Rilakkuma, it is a Japanese cartoon brown bear known for being continuously lazy and relaxed – my life’s dream.

Halloween is the time for trick or treating, and I’m up for it this year. Costume? Check. Giant environmentally-friendly bag for collecting candy? Just turned six-years-old? Triple that. Despite my inappropriate age,

Halloween is a tradition I and many other children will upkeep this year, as should those after me.

The term trick or treat dates back to 1927, when the tradition of kids dressing up in costumes and knocking on doors for candy began. Early costumes were definitely not as fancy or well-tailored as the ones we can find in shops today, but they most likely did the trick.

When we put on the costumes, we can take on the life of whoever or whatever our costumes represent. Young boys live their dreams of being superheroes while girls may wear the pretty dress and tiaras. Or the other way round – whatever suits their fancy.
Trick or treating is a time for us to forget who we are for a day, dress up as someone else and have some good fun. It is a time when we can let our imaginations run wild. Batman stealing candy bars from the Joker? Hello Kitty with a mouth? SpongeBob skipping down the lane with Squidward? Anything can happen.

Trick or treating may seem like childish play, with several cities in the United States actually banning those above 12 years old from doing so. It might be because life-size Draculas complete with fake blood stains are more frightening than cute, as compared to tiny toothless totes with protruding fangs asking for some gummy worms.

But the fun can still be had if you know where to draw the line.

Granted, you might meet some crotchety neighbours or creepy strangers, but the fun lies in going out with friends to laugh, meeting new people and most importantly, get some hard-earned candy. Why give up a tradition that has been going on for years?

I’ll readily admit that this is the first year I’m going trick or treating, but it definitely won’t be the last. If you see a brown bear slothing around the corridor on October 31, don’t just get out your sweets. Get out your costume and join me![/one_third_last]