Photo: Warwick Media Library

Plans for new campus halls

Warwick University is currently looking for a building company to partake in a major student accommodation project on campus.

It has been reported that the scheme will create 800-900 rooms built across 11 blocks of three to six storeys high.

The University have asked building and contracting companies to come up with some ideas for the £40 million project, but Peter Dunn, Warwick’s director of press and policy, has said that the scheme “is at a very, very early stage”.

He cited that one likely location for the new halls would be close to the centre of campus, where the old Hurst flats used to be.

Now demolished, Hurst was accommodation for final year undergraduates. Situated near to Cryfield halls, the flats, of which there were 49, housed six people in a total of eight blocks.

The proposed plans for the University’s new halls are to include a village hall, wardens’ houses and associated external works, and are anticipated to be completed in phases in 2016 and 2017.

A further 250 residences on a separate site towards the edge of campus may also be incorporated into the project.

No names for the new halls have been proposed as of yet, with Peter Dunn also having commented that “the detail is yet to be decided”.