Photo: Warwick Media Library

Fraudulent flyers around campus

Flyers falsely advertising a mobile app claiming to provide students with a free mobile and access to pre-loaded credit to make international calls at a low price have been seen around campus.

A false link, as well as a QR code, provided in the flyer was directed not to the app but to a third-party website made to look like the Warwick Insite website.

The website – warwick.comlu.com – is often blocked by malware detector.

The University first became aware of the distribution of the flyers on Friday 10 October. They have not been aware of any more as of late.

A complaint however has been made to the site hosting the URL and further action will be taken accordingly.

Aside from providing calling credit, the app, according to the flyer, also promises that the free ‘Warwick mobile’ will contain all of the functions found in a ‘top end mobile’. One of the functions mentioned is the ‘MapApp’ that claims to help students from getting lost in the campus.

Peter Dunn, director of press and policy at the University, warned students: “As ever, one should always be careful when prompted to visit a web page by any advertising that it is what it claims to be – especially when the advertisement is claiming to be, in any way, affiliated with the University.”

The flyers are as seen below:

falseflyers