Photo: kris krüg / Flickr

New year, new you; a fresher’s fashion checklist

Begin the year equipped with these essentials to ensure you’re fashionably ready for whatever university life throws at you.

Starting a new year at university doesn’t involve only books, stationary and kitchen utensils. While you may have been way too busy thinking about your education and living to consider your more fashionable self, Warwick Fashion Group has come up with a short list of things to pick up sooner rather than later.

Shoes you won’t mind roughing up.

Everyone knows that a broken heel or a torn side of a shoe can spoil an otherwise amazing night out. We suggest minimising the emotional trauma by

Photo: Jo Christian Oterhals / Flickr

Photo: Jo Christian Oterhals / Flickr

equipping yourself with pretty, but durable (and/or disposable) shoes that can endure a clubbing spree. New Look heels take the champion’s title for the most durable look-for-the-buck shoes we know of. As for flats, Converses are always an amazing choice for both guys and girls – they only look better with use. We would suggest to opt out of the white canvas though, which will stop being white in a matter of minutes.

Always be prepared with your sleepwear.

Nobody wants to be taken by surprise just before they were planning to go to bed. Look your absolute best for any midnight fire alarm, surprise landlord visit or a house party you completely forgot about by stocking up on fancy pyjamas or nightgowns. While you could go as far as getting suitjamas worn by the legen-“wait for it”-dary Barney Stinson, we would suggest to check out House of Fraser and John Lewis – they have a great range of sleepwear for any occasion.

Stay comfy for those timetabling disasters.

Turning up to a 9 a.m. lecture is a feat of self-discipline and determination as it is; being impeccably dressed for it may just go too far. Reward yourself by dressing in a pair of nice sweatpants that will make you feel as if you never really left the cosy embrace of your bed. Add a steaming cup of tea or coffee and suddenly that early lecture doesn’t seem too bad after all.

Carry it in style

Photo: Lara Vázquez / Flickr

Photo: Lara Vázquez / Flickr

There has been plenty of blood spilt over which bag type is the best for carrying all your studying essentials. Some say the simple and replaceable canvas tote is the way forward, some go for durable leather bag and some stick with good old trusty backpack. Whatever your preferences, we’ve got you covered. As a premium bag of choice, a Michael Kors bag is very practical and some even have a sleeve for your 13” laptop. As a less pricey alternative, a Zara bag will also do the job perfectly. Our absolute favourite for backpacks is the Herschel backpack range. From a classic navy canvas to the vibrant polka dot print version, there are plenty of designs to choose from.

For more fashion essentials, new trends, lookbooks and more, follow Warwick Fashion Group.