The Leamington arts venue is facing forcible relocation photo: Ife Akinroyeje

Events cancelled due to closure of Leam arts venue

LAMP, a popular arts venue in Leamington Spa, is facing forcible relocation by Warwick District Council following issues found with the lease of their property.

Pip Burley, co-director of LAMP, received notice that demanded the activities of LAMP be ceased immediately. On September 26, they announced on their official Facebook page that they were closing with immediate effect.

This closure comes shortly after controversy about planning issues and noise complaints which had been recently resolved.
Frequenters of the venue expressed their dissatisfaction on LAMP’s Facebook page.

Christine Cuddihy wrote: “giving less than a day’s notice shows a complete disregard for both the cultural and education opportunities that LAMP provides and the livelihoods of those it employs.

“…an immediate impact is the loss of individual events linked to both film and comedy festivals in the local area – examples that are an asset to the town, having been organised by volunteers and communities across the local area.”

Following a meeting on September 30, LAMP confirmed it would be entering a new partnership with Warwick District Council, who are currently assisting their relocation.

Pip Burley said: “Our educational events will continue as usual and our students will be unaffected.”

The short notice LAMP were afforded resulted in the cancellation of several events scheduled to be held there, including Leamington Underground Cinema Film Festival.

Alex Wells, a member of this festival’s organising committee, commented: “It was obviously terrible timing, a day’s notice when there have been months of effort put into events is really shocking on the part of the council, and caused a lot of stress and additional costs trying to get things booked in other venues.

“It also took away a lot of time at a crucial stage of promotion, and meant that very few people were talking about the events themselves, in favour of the venue’s bizarre and sudden closure.”

Alex also noted: “It’s a big loss for the town as a whole, as that was a very valuable and well used little space.”

A comment posted on the official LAMP Facebook page lamented: “LAMP had just resolved the planning issues and come to an agreement about opening hours plus we have the money for the soundproofing and ventilation – the problems that consumed us for the last year had been resolved.”

Jack McGowan, organiser of Shoot from the Lip, a slam poetry event held at LAMP, was however supportive of the relocation: “The success of our Slam poetry events owes much to LAMP, and the unique service it has provided by facilitating arts and performance projects… We offer the staff of LAMP our full support in any further ventures…”