Will you stay ‘friends’ with your fresher friends?

doughnut online.fw

We asked approximately 100 Warwick students about their friends in first-year.

Our survey revealed that the majority of first-years, 61 percent of responses, claimed to have been closest to their hallmates. The other 40 percent claimed that they were closest to their coursemates or society/club-mates.

We also asked students how many of their first-year friends they stayed ‘friends’ with. Results show a plummet of first-year friends in students’ second years.

smileys-online.fw_

DID YOU ALSO KNOW…

14% of first-years slept with a hallmate during Freshers Fortnight
29%slept with a hallmate in first year overall
48% of those who slept with a hallmate in their first year also slept with a hallmate during Freshers Fortnight.If first-year Warwick students were to sleep with their hallmates at all, it is nearly a 50 percent chance that they will do it during the first two weeks of university.
27% began some sort of romantic relationship with their hallmate during their first year

It is estimated that second years will lose 40 percent of their first-year friends, though they may gain about a few, three percent, of them back again in third-year.

Only seven percent of second years stayed with ‘all’ their first-year friends. For third years, the figure was five percent.

The highest proportion of second-years, 45 percent, stayed with ‘most’ of their fresher friends, whereas for third years, the highest proportion, 47 percent, stayed with only ‘several’ of them.

Only five percent of third-year students however said that they stayed with ‘only a few’ first-year friends while 17 percent of second-years said the same thing.

Photos: Ann Yip; slider photo: Richard Seely, Flickr