Photo: Images_of_Money / Flickr

Five games ideal for fresher bonding

The games section isn’t all about videogames, and believe it or not, first year isn’t all about partying. Every now and then, you’ll love a quiet night in. Although getting drunk with your flatmates is great, chatting and doing silly, childish things with them can often be the best fun, and the best way to get to know them. Here are my favourite old-fashioned games to help you bond over Freshers Fortnight. [divider]

Pool

Need to get out of the flat? Head to the SU, get a pint from the Terrace Bar, and play pool with your flatmates. It’s a great place to be and a great way to spend your time. You never know, you may have a secret talent for it (or you may be like me, excited they still let me play after a year.)

Truth or Dare

Obviously a great way to get to know people, though possibly not for the faint-hearted. If you don’t know your flatmates well, you never know what you might find out, or what you might be asked to do. Still, always great fun, and a wonderful excuse to be silly, although as the questions get more personal, and dares get more embarrassing, liquid courage can be very helpful.

Poker

Photo: Images_of_Money / Flickr

Perhaps our Vegas themed freshers’ party put us in the mood for gambling, but for whatever reason, our flat discovered poker as a fun and inclusive game very early. You don’t need to bet real money (we’re students after all), all you need is a deck of cards and some pasta to use as chips. A great way to distinguish personality traits within the flat; cautious, careless, deceitful…

Charades

This is a tricky one if you’re a shy group. However, as you play, the competitive spirit takes over, inhibitions become lowered, actions become funnier and everyone becomes more comfortable being silly with one another. This one is also ranked so highly because it is incredibly low maintenance. All you’ll require is a few people, and a basic knowledge of popular culture.

Twister

I can’t think of a more fun way to pass an evening. It allows for friendly (or not so friendly) competition, and a whole lot of comedy. You can play it in teams or everyman- for-himself. You can play it drunk* or sober. It can last as long as you like. You can play it in your jammies. It really is the perfect game and a great ice-breaker. After some of the positions in which it’s possible to end up, there is no more room for embarrassment within the flat. Believe me. (And although I mentioned not needing to be drunk to bond, there is no reason not to add alcohol to the following activities, if you, like me, feel that way inclined.)

*Play while drinking at your own risk. I cannot be liable for any injuries sustained playing Drunk Twister. My own are enough. [divider_top]

What games did you play to break the ice during freshers? Tweet @BoarGames