Phoot: Flickr/European Commission DJ ECHO

West Midlands universities on alert for Ebola virus

Universities across the West Midlands are on alert for a possible outbreak in the Ebola virus as students return from affected regions for the start of term in September.

The start of term will see nearly 350 students arrive at the University of Warwick from West Africa, at risk of carrying the virus. Almost 2,300 people have died from the virus in Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone and Nigeria.

The symptoms of the virus include fever, muscle aches, vomiting, diarrhoea and rash. Incubation time, from infection to onset of symptoms ranges from two to 21 days.

Universities UK (UUK) has contacted universities across the country with advice on how to deal with an outbreak. Gareth Morgan, a spokesman for the organisation, which is an umbrella body that represents vice-chancellors stated: “Universities UK has been, and will remain, in close contact with government officials and public health agencies to ensure we can advise and support our members.”

Peter Dunn, head of communications at Warwick University told The Boar: “the University is monitoring the situation” but reminded those concerned that, “experts studying the virus believe it is very unlikely the disease would spread within the UK even if it arrived in the country”.

However, he advised all those returning from affected regions to seek medical advice if they showed any symptoms of the virus.

Mr Dunn also confirmed that the University will not restrict access to those travelling from countries with reported or probable cases.

UUK’s guidance states that anybody suspected of having the Ebola virus should be isolated from all other staff and students in a side room until medical help is available.

Universities including Birmingham City University and Aston University have issued similar advice to their students, and are also working closely with government agencies.

The University of Warwick has told The Boar they will update their advice to staff and students should their position change.

The current outbreak originated in Guinea in March.