Photo: Rwendland/ Wikicommons

Evacuation of Westwood due to release of asbestos fibres

Construction workers were evacuated from Westwood accommodation due to the release of asbestos fibres into the air on Tuesday 8 July.

Deeley Construction was carrying out renovation work when the incident occurred. The potentially hazardous asbestos fibres were released when a furniture removal firm blasted through desks attached to the walls.

The site was evacuated as soon as the matter was reported and the issue has been referred to the Health and Safety Executive.

One of the workers, who talked to Coventry Evening Telegraph, reported that their clothes had been incinerated as a precautionary measure.

He said: “I am worried – you don’t know what the long-term effects will be. We’re all going to be sent letters to notify our doctors that we’ve been exposed to asbestos.

“We all know it’s a killer, and you don’t know if it will start to affect you in 30 years’ time.”

A University representative told the Boar: “The work you refer to is the refurbishment of residences in Westwood.  The buildings are from a period when asbestos was commonly used.

“We had a full asbestos survey of that building and were aware of where all the asbestos was/is safety contained within its structure. The contractor on site, Deeley, was given all the details and they have not encountered any new asbestos.

“Deeley have kept us informed of this issue and we are confident that they will deal with the problem and complete the work as planned.”

A statement from Deeley Construction, a Coventry based construction company, supported the University’s statement: “We were aware there was asbestos in some parts of the buildings.

“We had hired a removal firm to move furniture. It subsequently transpired that some of that furniture was fixed to walls which contained asbestos and once that was reported to us, work was stopped on that building and the site closed.

“Testing is now being carried out and the facts will be reported to the Health and Safety Executive well within the permitted time frame.

“Deeley is a renowned and responsible construction company that has safety at the forefront of all its operations.

“We have fully communicated the situation with the University and we are working together to remedy the situation.”

Warwick Accommodation had begun the process of taking action against asbestos in university-managed accommodation in November last year following a report in the Boar on the matter.