Photo: flickr/ josh

Scottish university to use dogs in student interviews

Edinburgh Napier University is set to use dogs to help pick out the best candidates for a highly competitive Veterinary course.

Student interviewees are being judged on how they react to a dog present in the room. The hope is this will provide the university with a better insight into how the candidate interacts with animals and to see if they have the potential to be a successful vet.

The course is highly competitive, with the university being the only one in Edinburgh to teach Veterinary nursing. There are only thirty places available each year but more than four-hundred students apply on average.

During the interview the dog will compete for the candidate’s attention and the interviewer will assess how the candidate responds to Belle, the chosen dog.

The dogs roam the room whilst applicants are quizzed on their passion for Vetinary nursing, their experience and qualifications.

Dr Mary Fraser is a vet nursing lecturer and owner of Belle, one of the dogs which have been introduced as part of the interview process.

She remarked: “Having Belle in the interview room not only helps calm the prospective students but lets us see what they’re like with animals.”

Dr Fraser added: “All of our students go on to have work placements before eventually taking jobs in veterinary practices so if, at this stage, they don’t cope well with a very friendly puppy then they are unlikely to get on well with a snarling 60kg dog.

“It is about rooting out these issues before they even get a foot in the door.”

Frances Ryan, a Classics finalist, commented: “I think it would be good to see how people react with animals and I think it would be really helpful as it would make the candidates feel more relaxed in the interview.”

Jamie Hart, a Philosophy and Psychology finalist, was more sceptical.

He remarked: “I do get it but I don’t really see the purpose of it. If you are going into Vetinary nursing then you obviously shouldn’t be nervous around dogs and you should deal with the situation well.

He added: “But being good with one animal doesn’t mean you are going to be a good vet.’’