Lively spots such as Magaluf are renowned for the package holidays they offer (photo: wikimedia commons)

Work and play: making the most of package holidays

Let’s be honest: if you haven’t already been on a warts-and-all package holiday before university, you’re tempted now, right?

The recent spate in reality TV travel shows has exposed 18-30 clubbing holidays as the ultimate hedonistic paradise. Brits in various states of undress wade through a sticky jungle of vodka, sweat and risqué drinking games, all in the search for ultimate escapism. Only dulling glow sticks, dripping body paint and flashing neon lights illuminate the debauchery: Welcome to ‘The Strip’ – the clubbing epicentre of Kavos, Malia, and Magaluf, amongst others.

The holidays displayed on the telly would have us believe these destinations are losing their shine. However last year Spain, Greece and Cyprus were still amongst the top ten vacation destinations for Brits [1] – and with some young people choosing to work abroad too, do they deserve to be demonised?

Becky Long, a 20-year-old English Literature finalist at the University of Warwick, spent the summer working as a club promoter in Zante and says the attraction for students is clear.

“The drinking culture is quite similar to that of university,” Becky explains. “It’s very much like Fresher’s again, which is why students still visit.”

With bars and clubs offering remarkably cheap drinks deals – “where I worked, it was €10 (£8.26) for an unlimited bar all night,” she adds – booze is the main culprit for holidaymaker’s bad behaviour.

Becky remembers one terrifying night in particular. “People do stupid things” she says. “One night, a friend was dancing on the edge of a roof, absolutely paralytic. We managed to get him down but it was scary.”

Each year, thousands of Brits are lumped with a hefty hospital bill after alcohol-fuelled antics end in disaster. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) states that Spain “continues to be the country with the highest number of Britons hospitalised”, with 899 cases in 20131.

Tragically, seven British nationals fell to their deaths from balconies in the same year[2]. If an uninsured person dies abroad, any treatment they have received and their repatriation to the UK is unlikely to be covered: “Bringing a body back to the UK can cost thousands” the FCO warns[3].

It’s also important to remember that it won’t be as easy to find the same level of medical and personal care on the strip as it would on campus. Local attitudes and customs will not be the same as you’re used to back home.

“I know a girl who had been in Zante for over three months and needed a sexual health test and there are very few clinics that do this.” Becky says. “She said the whole experience was a lot more stressful than in the UK.”

Always take the same precautions as you would back home – what happens abroad doesn’t always stay there. In the case of a sexual assault, find your nearest embassy or consulate who can help with contacting police, explain local procedures, and get in touch with family if needed.

Worker’s paradise?

For those looking to fund their trip as they go, there are bar jobs aplenty if you’re confident, punctual and thick-skinned.

Becky recalls her first few nights promoting on the strip for very little money: “It’s tough. For the first three days I worked seven hours for €15, it was ridiculous. I demanded more after threatening to leave and eventually received €30 for six hours – and that’s really good on the strip. Hours are longer for the barmen, but if you want to be a shot-girl you basically live off your commission.”

Thefts are also common in clubbing holidays, with passport and phones amongst the most popular items stolen.

“In Zante I didn’t bring anything out with me each night,” Becky recalls.  “However, people were targeted every night on the strip – I think tourists are more likely to have things stolen.”

More than 28,000 Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are issued around the world every day by the FCO[4]. However, obtaining one can take several days, which may cause additional expenses on top of the £95 fee. What’s more, you will need to get a new passport on your return home, adding another £81.25, using the “Check & Send” service. It’s a good idea to keep a photocopy of your passport on you, and remember that items aren’t always safer on your person. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office have loads of top tips on staying safe abroad, visit https://www.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo, alternatively join www.facebook.com/fcotravel or follow twitter.com/fcotravel

If you’re going for a good time, rest assured these clubbing holidays won’t disappoint. “I would recommend visiting a resort like Zante. For the most part I felt very safe and I met people from all different backgrounds” says Becky. “You just have to retain a bit of common sense…”

Don’t let the fishbowls cloud your judgement – Know Before You Go.

[3] https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-insurance

[4] http://blog.allcleartravel.co.uk/passport-expense/