Photo: Flickr / Peter Miller

‘Dairy’ of a born-again vegan

In the wake of Week 7’s ‘Go Veggie’ Campaign, Shaan Jindal reflects on the trials and tribulations of being a vegan on campus.

For those that do not know, vegans ‘‘partake not in the meat, nor the breastmilk, nor the ovum, of any creature with a face’’ (a quote from Scott Pilgrim where vegans have telekinetic powers – mine haven’t developed yet). I came to university as an omnivore and soon evolved into a herbivore therefore experiencing campus life following both lifestyles.

There is no better time than university to go vegan as you can cook for yourself without the guilt of rejecting your parents’ (questionably) delicious cooking. Actually living on campus makes veganism easier as you can prepare hot meals in halls between lectures and meetings. Commuting onto campus each morning, however, results in more of a reliance on campus cuisine.

Partake not in the meat, nor the breastmilk, nor the ovum, of any creature with a face

Unfortunately, veganism on campus can be difficult. For some, no markings on vegan options means they avoid certain outlets. Although you’d assume it’s obvious if something is vegan, this isn’t always true; the vegetable thai green curry in Bar Fusion and the hummus wrap in Costcutter both contain fish paste despite sounding vegan-friendly. Thankfully, Xananas does specify which dishes are vegan but I fear this may only be because it is in the SUHQ where everything must be politically correct and accessible to everyone (hence their ‘Gender-Neutral Accessible Toilet’), not that that’s a bad thing.

As there’s a strange obsession with slapping cheese on anything without meat, most restaurants have only one vegan option (usually vegetable noodles which I could cheaply and easily make). Although sometimes it’s feasible to order vegetarian options without cheese, it leads to a frankly bland meal. I appreciate that restaurants don’t have to attend to everyone’s needs as it’s ultimately your decision to visit, but these are outlets designed to provide an accessible and diverse range of food for students.

Fortunately, the student-run Food Co-op provides ethically sourced products including vegan snacks.

To actually eat a varied diet I bring leftover dinner, reheated and stored in a thermos, to campus making me look like a creepy adventurer extraordinaire. Failing this, I venture to Costcutter where couscous, hummus and bean salads can be purchased individually for extortionate prices before being assembled into a meal (there are no vegan sandwiches unlike the Library Café). Ironically, lunch ‘Chez Costcutter’ can get pricey. Thankfully, the Bread Oven has an almost infinite sandwich range comprised of different combinations of hummus, falafel, salad, roast vegetables and caramelized onions. In terms of satisfying your sweet tooth there are few vegan options leaving nothing to compliment my soy latte when at Curiositea. Fortunately, the student-run Food Co-op provides ethically sourced products including vegan snacks.

Despite these problems, people seem open-minded about a vegan lifestyle especially as it is cheap, healthy and makes you part of an excellent community.

Week 7 played host to the Go Veggie campaign. Have you been inspired to change you’re dietary habits? Tweet us @boarlifestyle.