Photo: Flickr, Jeff Howard

Smart phone heating to be developed on campus

The University of Warwick have worked with Midlands company JSJS Designs Ltd and WMG on an idea which will see mobile phones and tablet devices used as part of a new personalised heating and energy economy system.

The University has been awarded £495,000 towards the idea by the Technology Strategy Board, the UK’s innovation agency.

The University’s Estates Office will work with JSJS Designs and WMG to install a wireless Heating Micro-management System (HMS) to the University’s Social Sciences building. Users will be able to control the heating of individual rooms using their smart phones and tablet devices.

The project was inspired by the research of Dr Rebecca Cain, WMG Associate Professor in Experience Led Innovation at Warwick.

Dr Cain commented on the project: “This is a great opportunity to test some of the research we have been doing across a range of public spaces in the energy management arena.

It is imperative that users of such technology are able to fully engage in the process of monitoring energy usage in their homes or work spaces in order to enhance its effectiveness.”

The project will give JSJS Ltd the chance to test the innovative technology on a larger scale in a non-domestic environment. Smart heating has, in the past, only been available to much smaller spaces, which is why the University is looking forward to be using the Social Sciences building for such a project.

Joel Cardinal, energy manager at the University, added: “Refurbishment of existing buildings is a challenge for the construction and facilities management industry.

We are keen to engage new initiatives that can help the University and the country to reduce its carbon footprint and are delighted to have the opportunity to develop and validate an exciting new technology in one of our largest buildings.”