Abolishing the stigma surrounding mental health

Whilst totting up how much my degree will cost me once I graduate (and I expect this value to be even more once the increase in tuition fees kicks in, but let’s not think about that…) I attract a few curious and concerned faces as I vigorously rub my ‘lavender-scented relaxing aromatherapy balm’ on my temples… £23,000! And that’s not even taking into account how much I spend! Having only recently discovered that the minus sign on my bank balance is what it blatantly is, a MINUS sign, and not a bullet point… (oops!) this ever-growing figure will also add on to the bill.

So, I better make these three years worth it. Stressed? I will be. Worried? A tad. Pressure? Uhuh. It’s no wonder why 15% of University students will be diagnosed with a mental health problem whilst studying for their degree.

Reading this, you’re probably thinking ‘mental health problem? I wouldn’t class feeling stressed or worried as a mental health problem. Saying that makes you seem crazy!’ – and this is exactly where the problem lies. When people think about what a mental health problem is, most people will think of Alzheimer’s or Schizophrenia, when in fact there are many, many more. Who wants to be classed as having a mental health problem? There is so much stigma surrounding it, people think you’re crazy. But you’re not – you’re just going through a rough time in your life, it’s nothing to be ashamed of.

University can be the time of your life, but it can also be a perfect incubator for mental-health problems. 1 in 4 of us will experience mental health problems at some point in our lives. Although it may not affect us directly, we may know someone to whom it will. Statistics on the prevalence of neurotic disorders in Great Britain showed that 17.1% of the population were affected in the year 2000.

These neurotic disorders include: problems with sleeping; depression; anxiety; fatigue; irritability; worry; forgetfulness; obsessions; panic and so the list goes on. Quite common problems as a student would you say? Mixed anxiety and depression is the most common mental disorder in Britain; accounting for 9% of the population.

It often strikes students in their late teens and early twenties by triggers such as living away from home for the first time, the pressure to perform well whilst the bills mount up, influences in the media to look a certain way, drug misuse and friendship and relationship problems. Students diagnosed with depression are twice as likely to drop out of University. Whilst some of us will seek help, others struggle alone. Depression can hit anyone; some of the bigger names who have suffered include J.K Rowling; Emma Thompson; Stephen Fry and Winston Churchill.

Speaking to someone who has suffered from depression and who is very close to me, she gave me this account of her experience:

“Basically it is the loneliest place in the world. I used to dread waking up in the morning for another long day of the same thing… feeling hopeless and sad all day.  The hours dragged, the days went on forever… I used to like sleeping… that way I wouldn’t have to think of anything… that’s if I could go to sleep of course… my mind wouldn’t stay still… too busy thinking of everything… over and over again… but never getting an answer that would ease my mind. I thought everything was my fault… and I couldn’t fix it… so I couldn’t rest.  I needed someone to say the right words to me to put my mind at rest… or to find the right words to say to myself… but that took a long time. 

It is easy to carry all the guilt with this illness because you can’t think logically enough to put things into perspective… but there is always a reason for everything… and when you are getting better you can slowly see all of these things… it is like the sunrise in the morning… the light starts to shine again… very slowly… but it does.” 

Things can get better; there is help out there for everyone.

_Week seven (w/c Monday 20th February) brings Mental Health Awareness week to campus. Check out the Warwick SU website for full details of all the events and campaigns that are happening._