Wave of attacks on students

Concerns have been raised about student safety after a number of serious assaults and burglaries have been committed against Warwick students since the start of term.

A female student was sexually assaulted on Russell Terrace three weeks ago, after a mugging escalated into a vicious attack. No further details have been released as of yet with the police not wanting to comment on any developments in the case.

In the early hours of 23 October, Matthew Duxbury, a second-year Law student, was attacked whilst walking home from Leamington All Saints Church after attending Skool Dayz on campus.

Matthew explained that “a car pulled up and three men got out. One hit me over the back of my head and took my phone, then they all proceeded to kick and punch some more.” He believes that he was targeted because he was texting on his phone whilst walking home and they therefore saw an opportunity.

Prior to that on Saturday 8 October, a female student and her duty manager were attacked walking home on Russell Terrace after working a shift at the Jug and Jester.

They were similarly attacked from behind and both were left unconscious and hospitalised. In what seemed to be an unprovoked attack, all valuables were taken, including the keys to the pub, resulting in all the locks being changed.

The police have been checking activity on bank cards but believe there is little chance of catching the perpetrators. Warwickshire Police have advised all students to walk home in groups to ensure their safety.

Finally, on Thursday 13 October, a house occupied by Warwick Students was broken into on George Street, with a large number of electronic items stolen. Unusually, this break-in occurred during the day; however, it is clear the perpetrators knew all students were out or on campus.

George Irwin, a second-year Economics student and one of the residents, explained how “they broke the back window which backs onto an alleyway, unscrewed the lock and came in.” He then explained how everything had been locked in the house but the burglars proceeded to break down doors in order to take more.

Izzy John, the Students’ Union Welfare Officer, has been made aware of the incidents. She urges students to take the extra precautions advised by the police. “It is crucial that students are aware of basic safety measures – not walking home alone after dark, using licensed taxis, etc.,” she said, also highlighting that attack alarms are available from the Nightline block. For students walking home to other areas of campus after a night out, a shuttle bus is also available.

Warwickshire Police do not believe students are being specifically targeted. Whilst there has been an increase in burglary and vehicle crime recently, it should not be cause for panic. There is always going to be an increase in crime in any area where there is a large influx of students moving in.

Charlie Hollis, a Biomedical Science student, said: “I hadn’t heard anything like these attacks in Leamington before I moved but this makes it more worrying walking home late at night.” However, History student Rebecca Lines believes “this sort of crime happens all over the country. It is just something you have to deal with, without panicking.”

Statistics on crime released by the Home Office 2010-2011 showed Leamington Spa is below the national average for all crime aside from burglary.

In relation to burglaries and vehicle crime the police announced they have made progress, including arrests. However, they could not comment on any developments on the assaults.

Izzy John adds that she will be releasing information through the SU blog to raise awareness and that any student with concerns can contact her for advice.