We will march: Union unites in protest

Warwick Students’ Union (SU) will again be taking students to march through the streets of London on 9 November to protest the changes to higher education.

The demonstration will be the second this year against the recommendations of the higher education white paper, the rise in tuition fees to £9,000 coming in next year and the cuts to universities that are already starting to affect universities across the country.

The first major demonstration against the cuts in March earlier this year organised by the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts (NCAFC) saw between 250,000 and 500,000 students, lecturers, teachers and members of the National Union of Students (NUS) get together and show their support for the anti-cuts cause.

Despite the march’s rather cheerful and peaceful atmosphere, a small amount of participants did decide to break away from the protest and vandalise nearby stores. That, however, did not stop the government from making its radical decision.

When asked to provide the rationale for why Warwick students should get involved in the demo; SU Education Officer Sean Ruston responded: “We have to keep up resistance to what’s happening to the higher education sector. It’s already having an effect on Warwick and other institutions. It’s important that the student movement stays strong. It’s important that the Union continues to follow its policy of showing solidarity with the rest of the sector”

Despite the lack of success at the previous demo, the student effort against the cuts has not diminished. Concerns have been raised that similar violent outbursts could also occur at the upcoming demonstration. Ruston assured that precautions had been taken: “We’ve done a full risk-assessment, which has been seen by our Health and Safety manager” and mentioned that the demo organizers have been in contact with the Metropolitan police. “We’ve had hours of meetings to ensure that all contingencies are in place.”

The SU has also organised for the distribution of ‘contingency cards’ with emergency contact numbers and advice in case of injury, arrest or kettling and sabbatical officers will be present as coach stewards. There is also going to be a ‘buddy system’ set up where every student will be required to stay with a partner student at all times, and emergency contact details are to be obtained from each participating student.

When asked about the scenario of a Warwick student getting involved in violence during the demo on Wednesday, Ruston replied: “The Union would never support and never endorse any kind of law-breaking or violence at a demonstration. We’re committed to peaceful protest.” At the same time he highlighted the fact that Warwick Students’ Union also strongly supports the “right to protest”.