Events see largest-ever turnout

Despite unprecedented controversy, the 15th annual One World Week has been hailed as a “huge success” by its organisers.

Running from 22-30 January, One World Week promised to bring a fusion of cultural awareness, education and celebration to campus in exuberant fashion.

A vast array of events, such as the much-anticipated Fashion Show, were divided into four main areas under the headings of Arts, Festival, Forum and Sport.

The broadness of the One World Week spectrum was designed to appeal to all interests and tastes, as was demonstrated by the large turn-out throughout the week, which was estimated to be between 18,000 and 20,000 attendees.

“Numbers have been up in all events,” Pavlos Yeorgaroudakis, One World Week Coordinator, said. “It’s been a very good year.”

As in previous years, One World Week organisers combined hard-hitting forums dealing with topics ranging from deforestation to political disenchantment, with the light-hearted frivolity of night-time events such as Carnival.

Carnival took place on the evening of Monday 25 January on the Piazza, and was an entertaining showcase of the talent to be found at Warwick. Performers including fire jugglers, cheerleaders and several different dance societies braved the cold and brought the hundreds of shivering students in the crowd to their feet in appreciation.

Students who were less enthusiastic about standing in the cold attended a variety of indoor events such as films, poetry readings and art exhibitions at the Arts Centre.

The new Students’ Union building also welcomed its first One World Week and received waves of visitors over the course of the week.

The highlights of the week included “sports – attendance rates have shot up; forum, especially the Paul Collier opening talk; and ATB, which was one of the best nights the Union’s had,” according to Yeorgaroudakis.

However, Yeorgaroudakis said there were aspects that will be changing for next year. “I want to increase awareness of the event and make a much bigger impact next year”.

_This article was amended on 22 February 2010. The initial version stated that Pavlos Yeorgaroudakis was OWW’s Publicity Officer, when he is, in fact, the event’s Coordinator._