Belgium versus Italy EURO 2020 Preview: Injury-hit Red Devils aim for Azzurri upset

With Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne sidelined, Roberto Martinez faces a selection headache ahead of his side's quarter-final clash with Italy.

Image: Wikimedia Commons / Антон Зайцев

Image: Wikimedia Commons / Антон Зайцев

In the blockbuster fixture of the quarter-finals, Italy travel to Munich to face Belgium at EURO 2020 this evening.

With both sides on six-game unbeaten runs, the second match of the day promises to be entertaining and tactically intriguing in equal measure.

Roberto Martinez’s Belgians qualified for the final eight by eliminating Portugal in the round of sixteen. In a game where goal-mouth action was at a premium, it was a world-class strike by Thorgan Hazard that proved decisive for the Red Devils.

Belgium, ranked first in the world by FIFA, have conceded just once at EURO 2020, with Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois keeping Russia, Finland, and Portugal off the scoresheet.

However, tonight’s 20:00 kick-off presents new challenges for Martinez’s side to overcome. With Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne sidelined through injury, Inter Milan forward Romelu Lukaku will carry the hopes of his nation against the Azzurri.

Italy will attack from the very first second; they will be very structured and dynamic; every player knows his role
Roberto Martinez

Likely to be joined in attack by fellow Serie A star Dries Mertens, Lukaku must win his individual battles against Leonardo Bonucci and Giorgio Chiellini if Belgium are to overcome their Italian opposition.

"Italy will attack from the very first second; they will be very structured and dynamic; every player knows his role,” head coach Martinez said earlier this week.

“The game against Portugal was a game that could have been played a lot further down the line; usually players don't play these physical and intense games at this stage of the tournament. Luckily, we have enough days to recover and prepare."

Embed from Getty Images

However, as Thorgan Hazard suggested during his pre-match comments, the Red Devils seem naturally equipped for excelling against opponents who seek to retain possession of the ball.

“Their style may suit us more than Portugal,” said the Borussia Dortmund winger. “They are enterprising so we may be able to profit from the open spaces, but it definitely won't be any easier."

Unlike their opponents, Italy enter the quarter-finals with a clean bill of health.

Leonardo Spinazzola will once again offer the Azzurri attacking threat from left wing-back, while Ciro Immobile is likely to retain his place as Italy’s centre forward.

Ahead of the Azzurri’s meeting with Belgium, Chelsea midfielder Jorginho hailed Roberto Mancini’s impact as national team manager.

“Mancini trusts us and we feel that trust,” Jorginho said on Monday. “He makes us feel good about ourselves and gives us a big helping hand on and off the pitch. He's always been close to us through this journey. We've got to believe in ourselves.”

As a result, Mancini, who has drawn significant praise for his role in changing the fortunes of his national side, is unlikely to make significant changes for this evening’s quarter-final clash in Munich.

Provided Chiellini passes a fitness test on the calf strain that kept him out of Italy’s last two matches, his return to the starting XI will be the only alteration to the Italian side that eliminated Austria in the previous round.

In a game of tactical cat-and-mouse, Mancini’s Azzurri will seek to impose themselves on Belgium as an attacking force. Martinez’s Red Devils, on the other hand, will hunker down and hope that Lukaku’s talismanic force will propel them to the final four.

Embed from Getty Images

Will Belgium’s golden generation overcome the adversity of losing their brightest stars, or will Italy’s creative spark see the Azzurri reach the semi-final?

As always, time will tell.