NBA mid-season predictions and team evaluations

As the league passes its mid-way stage, now seems the perfect time to assess which teams have the best chance of making the NBA finals.

With most teams reaching the 50-game mark of a shortened 72 game season and the trade deadline now passed, NBA teams have consolidated their rosters for the final stretch of the regular season. It now seems fit to make more reasoned predictions on which teams in both conferences have the best chances of making the NBA Finals.

Eastern Conference:

Brooklyn Nets

The Brooklyn Nets have two former Most Valuable Players in Kevin Durant and James Harden, in addition to NBA-level point guard in Kyrie Irving. With all three players still in their primes, it is hard to look past the Brooklyn Nets advancing out of the Eastern Conference. While Durant has been out injured over the past month, Harden has shown he step up to the plate and fit seamlessly into an offence previously reliant on Durant, helping carry the Nets to the one seed. 

Beyond their big three, the Nets also have some interesting role players. Bruce Brown this season has emerged as the ultimate defensive ‘Swiss Army-Knife’, as his ability to guard multiple positions has been a huge plus. The addition of Lamarcus Aldridge must be noted as the 36-year-old remains a great post-scorer; providing the Nets another elite scoring option in the final moments.

However, the main worry for this Nets team is the defensive end. In Aldridge, Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan, the Nets do not possess an elite post-defender, something which has been evident against dominant offensive centers such as Joel Embiid. Despite this, their ability to outscore opponents should be able to negate this weakness.

Embed from Getty Images

Philadelphia 76ers

Aside from the Nets in the east, the 76ers led by Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons provide a major threat. Simmons ability to guard four different positions at an high level can be game changing in close matchups, and Embiid, when healthy, has been an MVP candidate with his dominance at both offensive and defensive ends. 

Under the tutelage of Doc Rivers, Tobias Harris has regained his Los Angeles Clippers form, providing the Sixers with another scoring option in tight games. One area to look out for is how point guard George Hill settles, as his ability to provide scoring and playmaking off the bench should improve the Sixers chances. 

Embed from Getty Images

Milwaukee Bucks

The Bucks must be mentioned in discussions of who will advance from the East. Reigning back-to-back MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo has continued to dominate, although his impact will be negated somewhat as in the playoff’s teams such as the Miami Heat and Sixers will look to build a “wall” between Giannis and the basket forcing the Bucks to look elsewhere for offensive production. 

The addition of point guard Jrue Holiday so far this season has provided Giannis and Khris Middleton with another playmaker, who has a strong ability to score from beyond the three-point line. Meanwhile, Their trade for PJ Tucker has meant coach Mike Budenholzer has begun to answer critics of his drop coverage defence which has been exploited in the playoffs. Tucker is able to defend multiple positions, allowing the Bucks to switch, instead of allowing an excess of open three-point shots.

Other teams to watch: Miami Heat

Western Conference

Los Angeles Lakers

In the Western conference, a fit Lebron James and Anthony Davis come playoff time should prove too much for their rivals. Prior to his high ankle sprain, Lebron, aged 35 was in the MVP conversation,averaging 25.4 points, 7.9 rebounds, and 7.9 assists. Davis has also been out injured, but with both expected to return prior to the playoffs, the defending champions dominance of the West looks set to continue.

Their role players also provide valuable qualities. Montrezl Harrell, despite not having the season many expected, provides an offensive spark off the bench, Dennis Schroeder has the ability to run the floor when Lebron is resting, while Marc Gasol has the ability to space the floor and facilitate other’s plays. In Andre Drummond the Lakers have acquired an elite rebounder, adding another card into a stacked deck, with their  roster looking even better than the one that won the championship in 2020.

For the Lakers their biggest worry is Lebron and Davis’ fitness. Without the duo the Lakers have faltered and slipped down the standings. In their absence, coach Frank Vogel’s main goal will be to ensure they avoid the play-in tournament, which the seventh to tenth seeds will take part in. 

Utah Jazz

If Lebron and Davis are unable to return to 100% fitness, the team in the West who would benefit most will be the Utah Jazz. They are currently the number one seed and are there deservedly. Point guard Mike Conley has finally settled in the offense and has created a strong pick and roll relationship with Rudy Gobert, one of the premium defenders in the league. Alongside this Donovan Mitchell, who proved himself in last year’s playoffs, has continued to improve, highlighted in his improved three-point shooting, at 40% on 8.6 attempts. Coach Quin Snyder has ensured all-round improvements in the Jazz roster, with selfless ball movement and a league-high three-point percentage 39.8%, meaning the Jazz are capable of upsetting the Lakers. 

Phoenix Suns

Following their 8-0 run in the bubble last year, the Suns, with the addition of Chris Paul have elevated themselves to championship contention. In Paul, the Suns have a Hall of Fame floor general leading them to a top 10 offence in the league. Devin Booker has elite scoring ability which will also be crucial in play-off scenarios. Mikal Bridges has shown himself to be a great wing defender who also has good offensive ability. However, I see center Deandre Ayton crucial in ensuring the Suns can challenge the Lakers and Jazz. If he is able to continue to increase his offensive production, the Suns will have multiple offensive options in clutch moments. 

Other teams to watch: Denver Nuggets and Portland Trailblazers