Billie Jean King Cup: Great Britain beat Mexico to reach 2022 Qualifiers

Katie Boulter and Heather Watson led the team to victory over the two days of the tie.

Image: Wikimedia Commons / Carine06

Image: Wikimedia Commons / Carine06

Katie Boulter claimed a second match win leading GB to a 3-1 victory in their Billie Jean King Cup Play-Off tie against Mexico at the National Tennis Centre, in Roehampton, London.

Even with the best-of-five tie posed at 2-1, nerves did not hold the 24 year old back. Boulter’s fine form continued, after defeating Mexico’s top ranked player Marcela Zacarias 7-5 6-0 the previous day. The Brit produced a fierce performance, including 14 winners, that overwhelmed World No.49, Giuliana Olmos, 6-4 6-1. 

“It was actually a really, really tough match,” said Boulter. “Olmos is a really difficult opponent and although I felt pretty confident going into it I had to play my best to win.”

Two years ago, Boulter secured a similar decisive win in GB’s Play-Off tie against Kazakhstan in what was then the Fed Cup. However, the memorable victory came at great cost as the three set match exacerbated a spinal stress fracture forcing her seven months out of the game. 

The former World No.82’s two straight set wins in two days signals another big step in her comeback up the rankings, and builds on her stellar 7-1 win/loss ratio in the BJK Cup.

British No.2 and World No.67 Heather Watson was also in action over the two-day event. On day one she took a convincing win over Giuliana Olmos 7-5 6-1 extending her formidable win/loss ratio in singles (21-10), which equals the best record of any British woman. 

On day two, Watson lost a close battle against Zacarias 6-3 7-6(1) bringing the tie to 2-1, but Boulter ensured victory for the GB squad later in the day. British No.1 Johanna Konta was unable to play as she rested her knee injury in preparation for the clay season.

The Billie Jean King Cup by BNP Paribas (formerly known as The Fed Cup) is the World Cup of Tennis. With more than 100 nations playing, it is the world’s largest international team competition for women. Great Britain have never won it but have been runners-up four times.

The win over Mexico means GB will progress to the qualifiers for the 2022 BJK Cup Finals. Any team who wins a qualifier secures a spot in the BJK Cup Finals, where the top 12 teams will play for the trophy.

Anne Keothavong, Great Britain’s Billie Jean King Cup captain said, “It’s a special feeling at this stage of the competition to get a win.”

“As a team we haven’t been in this position too many times before, so we had to take this opportunity. We came into this competition with high expectations and the players delivered.”

“We prepared for this event as best as possible, there was a great team spirit in the camp, and I’m just proud of all of them for getting the job done.”