Ranked: 2021 Formula 1 liveries

The start of a new Formula 1 season is always exciting. With plenty of drivers on the move, anticipation ahead of the 2021 campaign is especially high.

With Yuki Tsunoda, Mick Schumacher, and Nikita Mazepin set to make their F1 debuts at this month's Bahrain Grand Prix, the intrigue surrounding the paddock's rookie class is palpable.

The return of two-time World Champion Fernando Alonso adds another storyline into the mix. With F1 set for the longest season in its storied history, 2021 should be a good year for motorsport fans.

However, 'testing season' wouldn't really be 'testing season' if I didn't rank F1's new liveries.

We're starting at the back of the grid and working our way forwards. As this is a very serious article, please send any comments about my rankings to @BoarSport or @LukeJames_32.

My criteria for this task is fluid. I'm looking for a mixture of originality, flair, and aesthetics. Cut-and-paste liveries will be punished. I'm looking at you, Red Bull. Now, onto my list.

10) Ferrari

Before you get the wrong idea about me, I was a huge Ferrari fan when I was younger. I was furious when Lewis Hamilton won his maiden World Championship at Interlagos. Felipe Massa was the guy in my eight-year-old eyes.

However, no amount of sentimentality can save this livery from tenth place on my graphic design grid.

First of all, I like the burgundy vibe. Throwbacks are cool.

HOWEVER, the Italian giants have ruined an altogether good idea by refusing to blend its two hues of red. Nice idea, poor execution.

The decision to turn Mission Winnow's logo green, though, is simply indefensible. Ferrari's main sponsor, widely regarded as a proxy for former sponsor Marlboro, use a black logo on their website.

Let's be honest, it's bad. Real, bad.

9) Haas

The Haas livery is difficult to judge.

Removed from its context, the VF-21 meets all of my criteria. It's original, this is a new look for Haas. The new look also incorporates fair and - err... - looks nice.

Subtext, however, is important. Haas, which regards itself as "America's F1 Team", is rolling up for the 2021 season draped in the flag of the Russian Confederation.

As you will see in my analysis of Alpine's effort, I have no issue with flag-inspired liveries. However, the VF-21 just feels wrong.

To give you the backstory, Russian driver Nikita Mazepin joined the team at the end of last season. He makes the step into F1 after finishing fifth in F2 last season. Perhaps the most significant part of Mazepin's story, however, is his dad's wealth.

Dmitry Mazepin is a billionaire. His financial contributions to Haas have allowed the team to stay in F1. Hence the livery.

I don't hate the look.

But team's should have an identity; Haas sold theirs.

8) Williams

This might be harsh on Williams - who are sporting a new look in 2021 - but the FW43B just isn't landing with me.

Embed from Getty Images

My only complaint about the car is that it doesn't scream "WILLIAMS." If you miss the 'W' painted up high on the livery, Williams' new paint job looks generic.

Average.

7) Mercedes

What is there to say about Mercedes AMG AMG AMG AMG AMG AMG AMG?

Embed from Getty Images

Besides from the extreme number of 'AMG's painted onto the car, the W12 sports a strong look. The reigning champions have retained their colour pallet from last season, keeping their Black Lives Matter livery in place.

Ignoring the AMGs, this is a nice livery - especially given how the colours are blended at the rear of the car.

As ever, though, Mercedes' social media team has been in fine form.

OMG AMG.

6) red Bull

Let's be real, the RB16B looks exactly the same as the RB16. Imagine my shock.

The only significant change from last year is that 'Honda' has replaced 'Aston Martin' on the car's rear wing. If you've been living under a rock, you'll see why later.

I would never expect Red Bull to drop the main features of their classic design. However, there's plenty of changes they could make while keeping that Red Bull-look intact.

Turnitin would not approve. Neither do I.

5) Mclaren

I like McLaren's orange design.

It'll never match the iconic liveries used during the Lewis Hamilton era, but it's perfectly fine and sets McLaren out from the rest of the grid.

Embed from Getty Images

The reason I have put the Brits firmly in midfield is that, like Red Bull, their livery has barely changed. On the track, however, there are plenty of reasons to be excited about the Woking outfit: Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris are one of the most exciting duos on the grid.

4) Alpha Tauri

Pierre Gasly is cool.

Yuki Tsunoda is cool.

Alpha Tauri - a team named after Red Bull's Italian clothing brand - is cool.

Embed from Getty Images

The AT02 is sporting a simple look - navy blue and white is hardly revolutionary. There is a fine line between "boring" and "clean"; for me, this year's Alpha Tauri is simply clean.

Sharp lines and a clear identity. You love to see it.

3) alfa romeo

With Ferrari's effort failing to make the grade, Alfa Romeo have grabbed the opportunity to become Formula 1's best-looking 'red' team.

Here are a couple of things I like:

1. Alfa Romeo's title sponsor, Orlen - a European oil company, is incorporated into the livery with grace. Unlike Mission Winnow at Ferrari.
  2. The C41 just screams "ALFA ROMEO."
  3. The livery stands apart from everything else on the grid.

For that, the Italians earn a place on my podium. Kimi to the rescue.

2) Aston Martin

It's impossible to dislike Aston Martin's comeback livery. The team, formerly known as Racing Point (and Force India before that), have implemented the classic British racing green look - and that gets full marks from me.

With Sebastian Vettel and Lance Stroll in the drivers' seat this year, Aston Martin look to be one of the most exciting teams in the paddock - as exemplified by Tom Brady's cameo appearance at their launch event last month!

The BWT pink has divided opinion. However, it's a yes from me, a valiant effort from Lawrence Stroll's design team.

1) Alpine

Alpine - the motorsport arm of Renault - have absolutely smashed it out of the park with their debut livery. The A521, emblazoned in the colours of the French flag passes all of my tests:

1. Originality: Alpine share a colour scheme with Haas, but neither team can be marked down on account that their nations fly similar flags.
  2. Flair: Viva la France. Yeh, it's a French flag. However, Alpine have integrated their livery across the team's designs for the season. A strong 7/10 for flair.
  3. Aesthetics: Several small details pop off. The tricolour on the nose? Yes! The black and blue combination? Voila!

Most importantly, this car has a clear identity. Alpine, I'm proud of you.

You probably HATE my rankings? If you do, send in your 1-10 ranking of this year's liveries to @BoarSport. We're waiting.