Flickr/ Nathan Rupert

Reader’s Response – “Skool Dayz revisited”

[dropcap]T[/dropcap]he issue of child abuse and early sexualisation has been almost ubiquitous recently, and the scandals concerning Jimmy Saville in particular have created a strong public reaction. It is not an issue to be taken lightly.

Yet, after reading an article in the previous issue of the Boar, titled “Skool Dayz teaches us a bad lesson”, I can’t help but feel this is perhaps too serious a reading into the issue. Taking the theme lightly is absolutely not the same as taking the issue of early sexualisation lightly. The two are, and should remain, separate. It’s easy to see Skool Dayz as unacceptable because we need to show we are intolerant on early sexualisation as much as possible. However, it’s not necessary to condemn Skool Dayz in order to be intolerant of child sexualisation; the two are not mutually exclusive.

The crux of the argument suggests that by dressing up in provocative costumes that resemble a school uniform, there is a normalisation of the connection between children and sexed up costumes.

However, I’m not sure I can agree that this link exists and if it did, that it is normalised. Dressing in a school uniform for Skool Dayz is reserved solely for this themed night at the Warwick SU, therefore it isn’t normalised. Wearing such costumes is acceptable only because it is in this context, goers would not dress up like this normally, because that would be condoning the sexualisation of children.

It is only acceptable to dress this way because there is a realisation it is only due to the theme of the night.

The event is incredibly popular and is often sold out, despite the fire alarm going off now and then! It isn’t popular without good reason. Students are able to indulge in the past by listing to brilliantly cheesy music from the nineties and noughties. This is the appeal, reminiscing and singing along to truly awful tunes. Saying Skool Dayz is a way of seeing early sexualisation as tongue-in cheek is the equivalent of saying every time girls go clubbing in dresses or skirts, they are normalising the objectification of women. They aren’t.

It can be difficult to use the reason that Skool Dayz is ‘just a bit of fun’ to counter the argument put forward in the last issue. That doesn’t mean that it’s invalid. It is a theme, and nothing more. It isn’t meant to be taken that seriously.

To see, Kate Orlandi-Fantini’s article, click here.