SU President accused of inappropriate behaviour

A video has emerged of Warwick SU President Nick Swain unhooking a girl’s bra in a Warwick Snow Ski Tour promotional video from December 2011.

The original promotional video was first released seven months ago on the video sharing site ‘Vimeo’ and has now been taken off the website. It was edited and re-uploaded to YouTube on Thursday 14 February and a link was sent to the Boar by a concerned student, who wished to remain anonymous.

The incident took place in December 2011 on a Warwick Snow Ski Tour to Val Thorens, before Mr Swain stood for election to be SU President.

The original promotional video from the sports club was uploaded in July 2012 on the video sharing site Vimeo. The incident in question takes place within the edited YouTube video between 0.25 and 0.31

Mr Swain spoke exclusively to the Boar saying:

“I unreservedly apologise for my actions and for any offence that this video has caused. This event took place in December 2011, many months before I was elected as President of Warwick Students’ Union, on a holiday amongst friends.

“However, this fact in no way justifies my behaviour as portrayed in the video. The woman involved is a good friend of mine and has reassured me that I caused her no harm or offence as a result, but I nevertheless offer my apologies.

“I feel that this video is not a reflection of my fundamental values and certainly does not represent the way I conduct myself as President of Warwick Students’ Union. I reiterate my sincerest apologies.”

The video was re-uploaded by an account titled ‘Nick Swain’ which joined YouTube on Thursday 14 February 2012, the same day the video was uploaded. Nick Swain has confirmed this account is not linked to him. The video has been substantially changed from the original Warwick Snow promotional video.

The girl featured in the video, who wishes to remain anonymous, has contacted the Boar to explain: “Nick Swain and I are good friends and this video has been taken out of context.

“I wish to confirm that I was not offended or objectified, any attempt to portray this as such has been misconstrued and not representative of his character.”

A statement has been released by the Students’ Union saying: “On the evening of 15th February 2013, Warwick Students’ Union was made aware of an edited video clip that accused a current Sabbatical Officer of engaging in behaviour that violates the Union’s Codes of Conduct and Equal Opportunities Policy. The activities in the video took place in December 2011.

“The Union continuously strives to protect and promote its Codes of Conduct and Equal Opportunities Policy and we take any breaches of the policy extremely seriously – especially in the case of elected officers and trustees.

“The SU has a clear policy and procedure for dealing with complaints and breaches of its Codes of Conduct. Any complaints regarding an individual or group of members, elected officers or trustees are made to one of the elected sabbatical officers and are dealt with judiciously and fairly following the rules and processes set out in By-Law 12 of the Union’s governing documents, which is available on the SU’s website, from the Democratic Services Coordinator or from any elected officer.

“The Union strongly believes that any complaints regarding misconduct will be dealt with appropriately and any student can hold their elected officers to account under the current democratic structure.

“With regards to the particular accusation, the actions of the President precede their term of office and is therefore a separate issue from misconduct while holding elected office at Warwick Students’ Union. Any questions regarding the President’s conduct or political performance can be raised directly to elected officers at Student Council on Monday 18th February, in Meeting Room 4/5, SUHQ, starting at 5.30pm.

“Any questions regarding this statement can be directed to the Deputy President and Education Officer at education@warwicksu.com.”

President of Warwick Snow Thomas Colville has said to the Boar: “Warwick Snow apologises for the original video which will be taken down immediately in order to prevent any further offence.

“We understand that its use for publicity purposes was improper and will ensure future promotion is tasteful and executed in a more professional manner.”

Connor Schwartz, a current Third Year Student Councillor, has said to the Boar: “Although Nick Swain and I have never shared the same politics, I have never had any problems with him in a personal capacity in interactions through his role as SU President.

“I am, however, entirely shocked and appalled upon seeing his actions in the “We are outgoing” Snow Tour video. What I witnessed was a brutal objectification of a (quite clearly unwilling) female student and a total invasion of her bodily integrity.

“Unfortunately in society there remains an ingrained patriarchy that is both pervasive and pernicious; that it should be at the heart of our Students’ Union is without question unacceptable.”