Image: Wikimedia Commons/Erik van Leeuwen

Team England reveal 72-strong Commonwealth Games Athletics Squad

On 22 June, Team England announced its 72-strong England Athletics Team for the Commonwealth Games, which is taking place in Birmingham, and is set to kick off in just over a month’s time. The athletics squad will join the rest of Team England’s hopefuls to create a formidable squad of over 400 athletes.

The team, which is being headlined by household names and athletics heavy-weights Dina Asher-Smith and Katarina Johnson-Thompson, is packed with star power. Joining these medal-winners, are brilliant youngsters Keely Hodgkinson and Max Burgin, both of whom are expected to make waves in the 800m. Based on this team, there are already gilded whispers of podium appearances – this is surely set to be a successful Games for Team England.

Although Asher-Smith is not racing over 200m, despite being the world champion for the distance, she will instead tackle the 100m and 4x100m. This move might just generate the ‘race to watch’ of the championships.

The Tokyo 100m bronze medallist Shericka Jackson is coming to Birmingham, after she defeated Asher-Smith and Elaine Thompson-Herah in the 200m two weeks ago at the Diamond League. With this recent victory and her success in last year’s Olympics, Jackson is likely to coast into the Commonwealth Games with confidence.

Yet, as we know, Asher-Smith is not to be underestimated. At the Birmingham Diamond League last month, she stormed the field to win her first 100m of the season, sailing past Jackson.

While she was well off her 10.83 personal best, with a time of 11.11 seconds, having already defeated Jackson over 100m – not to mention on the same track, Alexander Stadium, that the Commonwealth Games is set to take place at – Asher-Smith might have the upper hand going into the tournament.

Likewise, Keely Hodgkinson, who forged a name for herself last year having won silver in the 800m in Tokyo, age 19, is riding into the Games with poise, following her recent victory at the Diamond League with a time of 1:58.63 – the fourth fastest time in the world this year.

It is clear that their training plans have been paying off, and now all that’s left is for us to sit back and enjoy the races

Given that she was pushed out of the World Indoor Championships with a quad injury, this recent victory is vital for Hodgkinson’s confidence, showing the world her prowess over this killer middle-distance.

Seeking to emulate Hodgkinson’s successful major championship debut is Max Burgin, also competing in the 800m. The brilliant youngster is brimming with enthusiasm and determined to make his mark over the distance. And having already been compared to middle-distance running greats Seb Coe and Steve Cram, Burgin is one to watch.

In 2018, age 15, Burgin ran the fastest 800m for his age at 1:47.50. Despite injury dashing his dreams of competing in the Tokyo Olympics, he impressed again last week in Finland, running 1:43.52. This is the fastest time in the world for the 800m this year. While his name is relatively unheard of outside of athletics circles, Burgin might be able to emerge as a new hero for Team England.

Together, Hodgkinson and Burgin are paving the way for the next generation of middle-distance athletes, proving that age is no limit on the track.

Out on the road, Jonny Mellor is enthusiastic for the “hilly and tough course” for the marathon, which shall offer athletes an unparalleled tour of the city (I’ll let you decide whether or not that’s good thing). This enthusiasm is a promising sign, especially for such a gruelling distance.

Overall, Team England’s Athletics Squad is packed with potential. From the sprinters, to the middle-distance athletes, all the way through to the marathon-runners, Team England is brimming with a zealousness that is bound to bring some victories this Summer.

With most athletes that make up the team having had successful starts to the track season, it is clear that their training plans have been paying off, and now all that’s left is for us to sit back and enjoy the races.