Image: The Boar/ Ben Morley

Warwick confirmed to host Commonwealth Games Athletes’ Village

The University of Warwick will host one of the Athletes’ Villages for July and August’s Commonwealth Games.

Around 1900 people will be accommodated on central campus and in Cryfield Village, after final confirmation was given.

Two more villages will be created elsewhere to house the rest of the competitors for the games.

The University stated: “We want to play our part in showcasing our home in the West Midlands as an incredible place to live, work and visit.”

“It’s great news that the Birmingham 2022 planning application for our temporary structures at the University of Warwick has now been approved by Coventry City Council. This follows approval from Warwick District Council earlier in the year”

–Alex Kirby, Director of Venue, Village Development and Overlay for the Commonwealth Games

Alex Kirby, Director of Venue, Village Development and Overlay for the Commonwealth Games, said: “It’s great news that the Birmingham 2022 planning application for our temporary structures at the University of Warwick has now been approved by Coventry City Council. This follows approval from Warwick District Council earlier in the year.

“The University of Warwick will host one of three ‘campus’ villages for athletes and team officials visiting the region for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.

“These villages are conveniently located close to competition venues, in this case the Coventry Arena and Victoria Park, and there are training venues on campus too. This set up ensures the best possible experience for athletes competing at the Games.

“We’ll now move forward with our plans to create a fantastic athletes’ village at the University of Warwick, to ensure we are ready to welcome all of the teams when they arrive in the region in July.”

Plans were first announced in 2020 for Warwick to host athletes. In January 2022, it was reported this would also lead to the creation of a temporary gym, clinic, and security fencing on-site for the athletes.

Now, both Warwick District Council and Coventry Council have approved the full proposals.

As previously reported by The Boar, initial plans to build one bespoke athletes’ village in the Perry Barr area of Birmingham were scrapped in 2020 due to exorbitant costs.

The Commonwealth Games will be held from 28th July to 4th August in Birmingham and the West Midlands.