Image: Victuallers/ Wikimedia Commons

University of Warwick receives award for commitment to racial equality

The University of Warwick has achieved the Race Equality Charter (REC) Bronze award in recognition of its dedication to tackle race inequality.

The national REC mark, awarded by Advance HE (a professional scheme which fosters excellence in higher education), encourages universities to promote structural change.

It addresses institutional culture, specifically by advancing representation, experience and success of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic staff and students. This is focused in four key areas: student progression, academic staff, support staff and curriculum diversity.

Currently, 96 UK higher education institutions are members of the REC – 22 of which have achieved REC Bronze awards.

Bronze status universities include: University of Birmingham, University College London (UCL), University of Nottingham, University of Manchester, University of Hertfordshire, Imperial College London, as well as Oxford and Cambridge.

Speaking of the award, REC Head Dr Arun Verma said; “Achieving REC Bronze is recognition of an institution’s robust foundation for eliminating racial inequalities, developing inclusive cultures, and moving from commitment to sustainable and integrated bold and ambitious action”.

“Advance HE looks forward to supporting the University of Warwick as it progresses its action plan to advance race equality.”

“We’re proud to have achieved this important kite mark, which was gained as a result of the hard work of many Warwick people and recognises that we are moving forward with our race equality work.”

– University of Warwick Director of Social Inclusion, Kulbir Shergill

University of Warwick Director of Social Inclusion, Kulbir Shergill, also called the achievement “just the beginning”. 

“We continue to work together to make Warwick a place where all students and staff feel valued, safe and supported to achieve their full potential, where racial diversity and inclusion are the norm, and where racism of any kind is stamped out. We acknowledge the feedback from Advance HE and will incorporate that into our next steps.”

The REC submission prompted Warwick to release an updated Race Equality Action Plan. It detailed new long-term strategies to be introduced, as well as recent successes to maintain such as the increased proportion of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic staff in academic and administrative positions since 2017.

Bronze REC status lasts for five years, so its success will be continually assessed over this period. 

Warwick’s Race Equality Taskforce (RET), chaired by Senior Teaching Fellow Anil Awesti, continues to monitor equality, diversity and inclusion across campus. 

They report to Warwick’s Social Inclusion Committee, who advise the Senate and Council on Social Inclusion, and implement new strategies, where necessary.