Elliott Brown / Flickr

Warwickshire County Council priorities sustainability in its new Council Plan, pledging net zero emissions by 2030

Warwickshire County Council’s (WCC) new Council Plan has placed sustainability as one of its key priorities. Their aim is to move to net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.

They wish to develop a transport network that utilises green technology, and to encourage more sustainable journeys by bike, foot or public transport. 

In 2019, Warwickshire had the third highest CO2 emissions per capita of all county local authorities, mainly due to it being a hub of numerous motorway networks. 

As part of the council’s plans, it aims to reduce emissions through increased investment in areas like transportation. The number of publicly available electric vehicle charging points have more than doubled over the past two years in Warwick, aiding efforts to encourage more citizens to consider investing in electric cars.

The Council Plan places an emphasis on supporting people to make behavioural changes that will reduce their carbon footprint. In order to do this, WCC plans to give access to information that aids understanding of what an individual can do to tackle climate change through the ‘Green Shoots’ community climate change fund. There are also plans to engage with the public through the ‘Voice of Warwickshire’ citizens’ panel.

The WCC acknowledges that climate risks will disproportionately affect the poorest and most vulnerable, so they plan to mitigate the effects of climate change with local community-based activity. 

They promise a growth of green-related business sectors and jobs, as well as electric vehicles and renewable energy, which, they hope, will all contribute to the fight against climate change. Investment, sustainable growth and future employment opportunities will be financed with the £140 million Warwickshire Recovery and Investment Fund.

For more information, you can read the new Council Plan here: https://api.warwickshire.gov.uk/documents/WCCC-1980322935-2012