MATCHDAY LIVE - UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI-FINAL FIRST LEG: MAN CITY VS REAL MADRID

We're down to the last four, meaning it's crunch time in the Champions League. Who will emerge victorious in this first leg clash between the most prolific winners of the competition, and the challengers looking to claim it for the first time? Follow Jake Rodrigues for live updates!

That's all for tonight!

What a game and what a night for City. Thanks for joining me for a night of classic Champions League football. Next up, Liverpool take on Villarreal at Anfield tomorrow and hope to follow in City's footsteps with a first-leg win.

Full time: Manchester City 4-3 Real Madrid

What a game of football we've ben treated to tonight! Wonderwall rings out across the Etihad, as City carry a slender 4-3 lead into the second leg at the Bernabeu.

The home side had countless chances to score and to take the game away from Real Madrid. Pep Guardiola will no doubt be disappointed at his side's uncharacteristic lack of clinical finishes. Nevertheless, City will be happy to lead half way into the tie. City know what it's like to lose 4-3 at the Etihad in the Champions League. A win or a draw next week will be enough to take them through to the final.

Real Madrid were far from their best today and are, quite frankly, lucky to be only a goal down. They will hope that the injury to Alaba was not too serious and that they can muster a spirited display at the Bernabeu next week.

90+3': Yellow card for Nacho

That's our second yellow of the game, as Nacho leaves a little on Mahrez. City take the resulting freekick, but nothing comes of it.

90+2': Foden goes down after a clumsy Real challenge. City have been resolute tonight... although they have somehow conceded three.

90+1': three added minutes to play in this first-leg

Going back to that goal from Beranrdo Silva, we talk a lot about goals and assists, but a lot of credit has to go to the referee here - that's a great advantage played!

85': Another chance for City - how many more!

Pep's going crazy on the touchline once again. Just how many chances is his side going to miss tonight?

83': Alan Shearer - "To have the nerve and dink it straight down the middle takes some doing that does. What a game we've had here this evening!"

To be fair, he has nearly missed that, but still ... ridiculous from Benzema!

82': It's 4-3! That is outrageous from Benzema

A simply outrageous penalty as Benzema panenkas Ederson to make it 4-3. Talk about being calm under pressure!

80': PENALTY TO REAL MADRID

The ball strikes Laporte's arm in the box and it's a penalty to the visitors. VAR will have a look but I doubt that it will be overturned.

79': Ceballos replaces Modric, whose shot trickles past the post. The Croatian maestro has been quiet tonight.

76': Mahrez goes agonisingly close

Mahrez has been so unlucky tonight not to score! After a dazzling run, he squeezes the ball under the goalkeeper, but it zips past the post. Another let off for Real.

74': City make it 4!

Kroos fouls Zinchenko on the edge of the box, but the ball is picked up by Bernardo Silva. He takes a couple of steps forward and creates space before flashing the ball past Courtois at his near post. Real Madrid stood still.

72': and that's it for Rodrygo, who's replaced by Camavinga.

69': Real miss a big chance for an equaliser

Vinicius Jr forces an error from Ruben Dias and plays it into Rodrygo. He misplaces the pass and sends the ball dribbling out for a goal kick. ig chance there if Real had coordinated it better!

68': Chance for ... Laporte at centre forward?

The centre backs seem to be enjoying a run forward, as Zinchenko finds Laporte in the box. The defender's shot is straight at Courtois - a case of right place, wrong man for City.

64': both teams seem to be catching their breath before the final 20 minutes of this tie. That said, City are still moving the ball about with pace.

61': end to end stuff at the Etihad now after a good spell of possession from Real Madrid. Real might be happy with taking a 3-2 loss to the Bernabeu, especially considering how they've played tonight.

57': Chance for Militao

The defender goes on a Joel Matip-esque run and gets the ball back in the City penalty area, but his header was comfortably saved by Ederson.

Vinicius Jr gives Fernandinho the slip. Commentator's curse from me there...

55': WHAT A GAME! 3-2!

Vinicius is away down the City right, after getting the better of the man I just praised, Fernandinho. It's a calm finish into the bottom corner that brings real within one goal - what a game this is!

53': Foden restores City's 2 goal lead! 3-1!

and there it is! Fernandinho, City's makeshift right-back has been excellent since coming on. His cross is met easily by Phil Foden who nods in City's third of the night.

52': It's given away from Valverde and De Bruyne tries to bend one into the top right corner, but his shot is blocked. There's definitely another one coming for City.

50': Real are lucky it's only been 2 from City so far tonight. Put some yellow and orange shirts on these Real Madrid players and you'd think it was Watford!

48': Massive chance for City!

Mahrez races away after a mistake from the Real defence. He puts the ball past Courtois, but hits the post before Carvajal stops Foden on the line.

Could this be another chance for City that they'll regret not having taken?

Half time substitution: Alaba makes way for Nacho.

Time to wake up for Real?

It was a great half for City, but Pep will be ruing those missed chances - you could see his frustration on the touchline. Ancelotti will be hoping his players will come out fighting in this second half after a sluggish start.

Half time: Manchester City 2-1 Real Madrid

… and breathe! The referee blows for the end of an exhilarating first half, with De Bruyne heading City in front inside 2 minutes. Jesus made it 2 shortly after, but Benzema’s cushioned finish gives City something to think about in this second half. We're in for a great second half!

45+1': the fourth official puts the board up for one additional minute. Fernandinho steps into midfield and wins the ball for City, but the attack amounts to nothing.

45': De Bruyne fires it straight into the wall. It's maybe the only mistake he's made tonight.

44': Kroos fouls Jesus on the edge of the box and it's in a really dangerous position.

43': Dazzling skills from Gabriel Jesus, who makes it to the byline and wins a corner for Manchester City. Something tells me Jesus and Foden have been practising together in training!

41': I'm not sure if it was a shot or a cross from Mahrez, but it forces Courtois into a fairly comfortable save.

40': City have a free kick on the right side of the box. It's in a dangerous position and with five minutes to play of this first half, Real would be hoping not to concede another.

What a season Benzema's having.

36': big blow for City, who were already without Walker and Cancelo. Now Stones is forced off and it's Fernandinho on at right-back. Surely it all has to go through Vinicius Jr now?

35': This is turning into a Champions League classic. Two league Champions battling it out in the semi-finals - what more could you want?

Who else could it have been?

33': Benzema scores for Real!

What did I say?! Benzema meets Mendy's cross and it's a great finish from the Frenchman for his 40th goal of the season.

31': Real need to get the ball into Benzema. He is surely the man to get Los Blancos back into this game and this tie.

30': Alaba goes close

The defender rises from a Real Madrid corner, but his header's just wide. That was a decent chance for Real to half the deficit.

Maybe a bit early to write off Real Madrid, Gary!

29': Big chance for a City third!

Vinicius has a chance at one end, before a rapid City counter attack sees Foden through on goal. The young Englishman's shot flashes across Courtois and wide. I can't type quickly enough!

26': Ruben Diaz almost puts the ball into his own net after good pressure from Real. Diaz cuts out Vinicius' pass to Benzema and hits his own post, but he's saved by the offside flag.

24': I'm sure Pep wasn't planning on it, but if City can score another, they might not be too far away from finishing the tie tonight.

He won't be too impressed by the defending tonight - Madrid need to wake up.

20': Real are rattled and it's all down to City's constant pressure.

18' That corner really sums up Real Madrid's opening 18 minutes - a pass back to the taker leaves him in an offside position. If Ancelotti wasn't too unhappy before, he certainly is now.

17': half chance for the visitors

Real win the ball inside the City half and Vinicius makes it to the byline. He cuts in and his deflected shot flies out for a corner. Benzema was in a decent amount of space, if he'd just looked up!

14': Empty-had?

The City fans are in full voice now as their side takes control of the possession once again. I've heard this stadium called some things in my time, but the stands are really rocking now!

11': Jesus makes it two!

Delirium at the Etihad! Manchester City's dream start to this semi-final continues and it's that man, De Bruyne, who's at the heart of it once again. A great low ball into Jesus and the City striker taps home.

9': City aren't settling for one, as Jesus gets crowded out by Alaba on the far side.

7': Real Madrid have their first foray forward from a poor City clearance, but Rodrygo wasn't able to reach the ball across to him.

4': sloppy from Real

Ancelotti can't be happy with that defending from his side. We can't take much away from the work from Mahrez, but there were no Real Madrid players pressing the ball.

2': What a start for Manchester City!

City lead inside 2 minutes - Mahrez puts in a fantastic ball in and De Bruyne nods home!

City couldn't have dreamed of a start like this!

Kick off: Manchester City 0-0 Real Madrid

We're under way at the Etihad.

There will of course be five subs for each team in tonight's game. We know Pep Guardiola can be a bit reluctant to make changes, but surely he has to be tactical with his substitutions tonight?

Although the score tonight is not definitive in the tie, both sides will be wanting to get a strong foothold in the semi-final. Real Madrid will be trying to reach the final in the hopes of securing their fourteenth Champions League title, while City are still searching for that elusive first.

Real Madrid also make some big changes to the team that comfortably beat Osasuna last week in the league.

Kroos, Modric and Vinicius Jr return, with the talismanic Karim Benzema up front (of course!). Gareth Bale and Casemiro are on the bench tonight for Los Blancos.

Four changes for Manchester City following their massive 5-1 win against Watford in the Premier League on Saturday.

Zinchenko starts for the suspended Joao Cancelo and with Kyle Walker injured, John Stones starts at right-back. Mahrez, Foden and Bernardo Silva start, with Grealish and Sterling on the bench.

The Champions League is back!

Manchester City take on Real Madrid at the Etihad tonight in the first match of the semi-finals of this year's Champion's League. I'm here to take you through tonight's action in what already has the makings of an exciting tie!

It's just over a quarter of an hour until the teams come out, so let's have a look at the line-ups...