Image: Wikimedia Commons/ Postdlf

Search for missing student called off as body is discovered

The search for missing student Charley Gadd has been called off after a body was discovered, police have said.

The 20-year-old University of Essex student was last seen on the night of 11 December at a family gathering in Manchester.

A spokesperson from the Greater Manchester Police stated that the searches have been conducted to find the missing student and this came to a head when a body was recovered in the Manchester Ship Canal at 11.30 GMT on Monday 10th January 2022.

According to Manchester World, Gadd had last been spotted on Saturday 11 December 2021 around 1.15 am outside the Royal Exchange Theatre. His father Jolyon Gadd reported that he and his son Charley were on a night out at the Warehouse Project. It was then when Gadd suddenly “ran off” without warning. This was the last time Gadd had been seen. Gadd’s parents attempted to find their son and, later that day, filed a missing person’s report.

We have heard nothing from him since he ran off and my wife and I and his brothers Bruno and Rufus are desperate for any news of him.

– Jolyon Gadd

This is what Jolyon Gadd, said about his son’s disappearance: “We have heard nothing from him since he ran off and my wife and I and his brothers Bruno and Rufus are desperate for any news of him. We are obviously extremely worried.”

After receiving the report from Gadd’s parents, an investigation was launched to find the missing student by the Great Manchester Police. This all came to a head when around 11.30 GMT on Monday 10 January 2022, a body was found in the Manchester Ship Canal. According to the representative of GMP, the body was thought to be that of Gadd’s.

The Manchester Evening News reported that the Gadd family have been informed of this and are “being supported by specialist officers at this difficult time.”