Image; Team Shred Photography
Image; Team Shred Photography

Elite League: Coventry Blaze secure the signature of forward Ryan Penny

Canadian forward Ryan Penny, 26, has renewed the McGill University-Coventry Blaze talent pipeline by penning a one-year deal with the Skydome Arena outfit ahead of the 2021/22 Elite League campaign.

Penny, who was born in Fall River, Nova Scotia, arrives in Coventry with QMJHL, USports, ECHL, and AHL experience on his CV and comes with ‘A+’ references according to Blaze head coach Danny Stewart.

“In Ryan we are getting a 200-foot guy that competes, and plays multiple positions up and down the line-up,” Stewart said on Sunday morning.

“He can produce, is hard to play against and will play key minutes for us in all situations. McGill is one of the top programmes in USports, but with Ryan we are also getting the experience of a guy that had three very successful seasons at the ECHL/AHL level.

“From all references that we have had, we are getting an A+ character guy, and again this is vital when joining a core of players from our last season,” the 42-year-old added.

During 2019/20, his latest active season, Penny, who regularly plays at centre or left wing, registered 14 points (three goals, 11 assists) in 28 games for the McGill University.

Before arriving at the Montreal-based institution, the 6’2” forward appeared in 35 AHL games with the Binghamton Senators and Devils, amassing six points (two goals, four assists) across two spells in the Eastern Conference.

In the third-tier ECHL, Penny produced 109 points (53 goals, 56 assists) in 168 regular- and post-season games for the Evansville IceMen and Reading Royals, continuing his impressive major-junior record at the professional level.

The left-shot forward spent his younger days in the QMJHL with the Moncton Wildcats and Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, captaining both sides and notching 171 points (87 goals, 84 assists) in 334 all-inclusive appearances.

In 2010/2011, Penny was selected to represent Canada Atlantic at the World U17 Hockey Challenge, an event designed to showcase young players with exceptional talent and potential, alongside former Blaze defenceman Justin Hache and Colorado Avalanche and Team Canada star Nathan MacKinnon.

Penny is set to make his home debut for the Blaze against the Guildford Flames in the Challenge Cup on 19 September and will wear the number nine jersey.

Blaze Signings So Far:

C.J. Motte – 29-year-old goalie, USA

Jordan Hedley – 24-year-old goalie, GBR

David Clements – 26-year-old defenceman, GBR

Justin Hamonic – 27-year-old defenceman, CAN

Dillon Eichstadt – 27-year-old defenceman, USA

Nathanael Halbert – 25-year-old defenceman, CAN-GBR

Dane Gibson – 27-year-old defenceman, CAN

Ross Venus – 27-year-old forward, GBR

Alex Forbes – 25-year-old forward/defenceman, GBR

Luke Ferrara – 28-year-old forward, GBR

Johnny Curran – 26-year-old forward, CAN

Janne Laakkonen – 39-year-old forward, FIN

Alec Marsh – 25-year-old forward, USA

David Broll – 28-year-old forward, CAN

Matthew Thompson – 27-year-old forward, CAN

Evan Bloodoff – 30-year-old forward, CAN

Ryan Penny – 26-year-old forward, CAN