Elite Series: Coventry Blaze sign Norweigan duo Krogdahl and Bryhnisveen

Image: Scott Wiggins

Image: Scott Wiggins

The Coventry Blaze have completed their defensive line-up for the 2021 Elite Series by signing Norwegian duo Max Krogdahl and Nicolai Bryhnisveen.

29-year-old Bryhnisveen has experience playing for the Blaze, after spending the 2018/19 Elite League season with Coventry. In his single season with the club, the 5’11” defenceman registered 44 points in 60 regular-season appearances.

Bryhnisveen became an instant fan-favourite at the Skydome Arena, scooping the club’s goal and defenceman of the season awards.

Image: Finn Erikson

Image: Finn Erikson

22-year-old Krogdahl (above) has spent his entire career in the Frisk Asker organisation, progressing through their youth ranks to play professionally for the past five seasons. 

In 169 regular-season appearances in the Norwegian top-flight, the 6’2” right-shot defenceman has registered 20 points and has built a reputation for physical play.

Blaze head coach Danny Stewart said: "We are getting a pair of defencemen that will immediately make us better. Both players come from top teams in Norway and both have national team experience.

He’s a big, physical d-man that competes hard and is tough to play against
Danny Stewart

"We know Nico very well. He skates so well and plays up and down the ice as well as anyone. He competes very hard and has the ability to play in all situations.

"Max comes to us from a very successful organisation. He’s a big, physical d-man that competes hard and is tough to play against. He was a combined +34 the last two seasons and will partner well with Nico."

In 2018/19, Krogdahl played 18 playoff games to help Frisk Asker win the Norwegian Championship. A year later, the 1998-born defenceman made six appearances in the Champions Hockey League.

A constant figure for his country at youth level, Korgdahl has been included in Norway's preliminary squad for the upcoming IIHF World Championships. 

During his time with the Blaze, Bryhnisveen made an impact at both ends of the ice, scoring in Coventry's 3-2 win over Cardiff to prevent the Devils from winning the 2018/19 EIHL title.

Since leaving Coventry, Bryhnisveen has spent two seasons with the Stavanger Oilers. In 61 appearances for the Oilers, the left-shot defenceman registered 31 points.

Prior to joining Coventry in 2018, Bryhnisveen had played six seasons in Norway before making moves to Sweden's HockeyAllsvenskan, Finland's Liiga and the Czech Elite League. 

Internationally, Bryhnisveen has represented his country 44 times at senior level and won gold medals with Norway's U18 and U20 squads.

Bryhnisveen and Krogdahl are the latest players to join the Blaze, bringing Coventry's import contingent up to five. Netminder Shane Owen, defenceman Chris Pohlkamp, and forward Tristan Keck will also ice for the Blaze during the Elite Series.