Image: WarwickEsports

Warwick Esports secures HyperX partnership, raising the bar for university esports

Warwick Esports has announced a new commercial partnership with the gaming gear brand HyperX. As part of the collaboration, HyperX will provide Warwick Esports with prizes for its future competitions – including keyboards and headsets – with the University of Warwick’s successful Esports team advertising the brand via its jerseys and social media channels.

The deal also subsidises admission fees to Warwick Esports events and the general membership fee that players and society members previously paid.

Speaking to The Boar, Warwick Esports’ President Daniel Zeng explained that subsidising these fees will “incentivise our members to attend more of our tournaments and events.”

HyperX is a huge brand in gaming, and them recognising and working with us only serves to raise the legitimacy of university esports here in the UK

– Daniel Zeng

“We aren’t limiting prizes to members,” Daniel continued. “There are a lot of students within our community that don’t want to shell out the £19 [Societies Federation fee] just to be able to join one society, and we wouldn’t want to put members of our community behind because of that.”

Daniel also explained how he believes the HyperX partnership will benefit the wider university esports scene. “HyperX is a huge brand in gaming, and them recognising and working with us only serves to raise the legitimacy of university esports here in the UK.”

“We hope that through this partnership, we can raise the bar for what is ‘standard’ for an esports society in the UK.”

As a result of the partnership, Warwick Esports jerseys will be rebranded with a “completely new design” that includes the HyperX logo, with Daniel promising that “the jerseys are really, really nice.”

The Warwick Esports society is among the most successful University esports teams in the UK, having won Esports University of the Year in both 2018/19 and 2019/20, competing in a wide range of games including League of Legends, CSGO, Overwatch, Rocket League, and DOTA 2.

You can view the Warwick Esports website here, and can join its Discord server through this link.